1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use By Date?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by ScottD3, Feb 12, 2011.

1. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

Does Diesel go off?

I got 9 litres of it sat in a jerry can that I filled up back in October.
    If goes off, i'll use it. If not i'll put the can in the car.
  2. Geordie Mike

Geordie Mike Yeee-haw

I really can't think of a good reason why it should. It will evaporate, giving you some vapours, which will lead to some minisculely higher additive concentrations. I'm assuming you've kept a cap on it, so the vapour-liquid equilibrium will have been reached pretty quickly, and that will have stopped that. I would have thought that the additives are all stable, so there shouldn't be an issue there. Think about fuel dumps - that stuff will be there for longer than that. It can also take 6 weeks just to ship refined product elsewhere in the world - people export diesel to Europe all the time, as there is more of a market there.

It's also millions of years old. The only reason I can think for it to degrade is excessive temperature + pressure. Not the conditions you will have in your garage - like 10,000 psi and 300 degrees F.
  3. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

Thats what i thought.

had a quick search (might have been an idea to do it first. o well) and it looks like the main thing to be worried about is micro biological growth and a common fungal species called cladisporium resinae or something like it.

It should be ok but I think i'll use it every couple of months and top it back up.

Thanks.