1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

URGENTLY NEEDED!!!! Caliper Carrier! :(

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by StevoS3, Jun 7, 2010.

1. StevoS3

StevoS3 Member

Started with a slow puncture the other day so I took her down to my nearest tyre centre to get it sorted. Was standing talking to the guy while he was taking the nuts off, he got through 2 then the 3rd one cracked :( so I decided to deal with the slow puncture till I got new nuts and a means of getting the remains of the wheel stud out.
    Today I tackled the wheel bolt and did not get very far...
    Got the rest of the nuts out with a good struggle. Then took the caliper off and and the guide screw for the disc, checked it with a screw driver and was tight so used the impact driver with a perfect fitting head and it just wouldn't budge. Now the head of the screw is gobbed and I tried using a centre punch to nudge but no luck. Decided was going to put it back together and take it to the garage, putting the bottom caliper bolt back and it just snapped under no stress!! :banghead: Un bloody believable!!

There's not even enough to poking out to get a grip of so basically I need a right side carrier! I need my car for work, my nearest bus stop is 14 mile lol So really need to get the pile back on the road as soon as.

Does anyone know how much they are new? and if ill be able to use a carrier from another car?

Cheers fella's
  2. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Standard S3 caliper carrier right? They are fetching some good money for these, expect to pay anything between £80-110 for a pair, as no one will split them, you will be lucky to get hold of just one of them.
  3. StevoS3

StevoS3 Member

yeah standard one jojo. just as I was thinking about upgrading to r32's as well! Just couldn't afford them rite now :(
  4. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

omg who ever has been working on your car in the past need to invest in a torque wrench and some grease
  5. S3 Nattie

S3 Nattie Quattro ist für sissies

I snapped the caliper carrier bolt when I did my brakes before. I had to heat up what remained of the bolt to get it out, then when to the scrappy and got another bolt from a Ford Galaxy which had the same carries as a S3.

Ford were using VW/AUDI brakes at the time the S3 was new on some of there cars so worth doing a bit of research into.

With the guide screw I wouldnt worry at all. Just get it off how ever you can, drill it out will take 2 min. You dont really need it anyway. Its there so its easier when putting the wheel back on. Once the wheel is on securely the disc will not budge as its compressed between the wheel and hub through the wheel bolts.

Nathan
  6. StevoS3

StevoS3 Member

OooooOOOoooo! there is hope!
    I called up Audi today and they quoted me £139.61 +VAT for one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How is that justifiable?

I know the guide screw isn't important but its not a 4 or 5 k run around! Its My Audi :D

But I know i'm not getting it out without hassle so Ill try n forget about it.

I really dont think there is enough of the bolt pokin out the carrier to get a grip of with a set of moleys but Im going to take the hub off to give to my mate so i'll check the carrier. He's gonna take the hub into his work n get the wheel bolt out with oxycetaline or wotever its called.

I would rather take the hub off just now but it really wet outside n im a bloody sponge hehe
  7. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator