URGENT - removing rear wheels!

G 7UNK

Reaction score
Got the car jacked up on the front.

Removed the two front wheels with ease but I cannot get the rear ones off, there is some kind of plate covering the centre unlike the front ones.

It is an A4 S-Line.

Am I missing something?

Undo the wheel nuts, the tap the tyre with a mallet, the discs can rust and fuse the wheel to the brake disc. when you put them back on put a small amount of copper ease on the back of the wheel hub.

They won't budge.

They look slightly different to the front ones I took off also. As they each have a small disc in the centre!!

The rears on my B6 have been a pain to take off the two times I've done it so far.

Just a liberal dose of kicking to alternate sides of the tyre managed to loosen them off.

BTW, I read somewhere NOT to use copper grease as it attacks the allow. Don't know what you should use though.

The rears on my B6 have been a pain to take off the two times I've done it so far.

Just a liberal dose of kicking to alternate sides of the tyre managed to loosen them off.

BTW, I read somewhere NOT to use copper grease as it attacks the allow. Don't know what you should use though.

The first time I had to take the rear wheels off my GTI it took me nearly 45 minutes per rear wheel to get them off..Galvanic corrosion apears to be the cause - almost cold welding the alloy to the iron hub.

All you can do is as Macduff says..kick alternate sides, and if you get the car up on axle stands, kick from underneath, outwards too.
Just make sure you have someone waiting to catch your allow before it lands face down on the driveway!

On the subject of Coppaslip or similar...I always use it.
Porsche specifically state you use it on the raised lip of the hub (where the wheel locates), threads of the wheel bolts and under the shaped washer (between wheel bolt head and rear of washer) when replacing wheels.

I'm not aware of an official VAG policy on it, but the local Audi, VW and Skoda garages I've used, all Coppaslip the wheel bolts and hub lip to prevent corrosion.

Also, in 18 years of cars with alloy wheels, I've never seen and corrosion when using Coppaslip.

and if you get the car up on axle stands, kick from underneath, outwards too.

Lol, I can see an ambulance situation appearing with this one... not advisable. I've had to kick the crap out of mine to get them off previously but most definitely not from underneath the car.

If it's up on a pair of axle stands, it ain't going anywhere!

One man kicking a loosened wheel isn't going to kick a tonne and a half of A4 off a pair of axle stands..assuming the owner knows where to put them!

It was the only way to get the wheels off my Golf. Not easy, ideal, or comfortable...but sometimes you've got to do what you have to do!

I used a lump hammer to remove the wheels on my BM, block of wood against the rim to protect it. Took a fair whalloping to get em all off.

Coppaslip on the hib faces when I refitted them.

J.

If it's up on a pair of axle stands, it ain't going anywhere!

One man kicking a loosened wheel isn't going to kick a tonne and a half of A4 off a pair of axle stands..assuming the owner knows where to put them!

I used to work in a garage, I've seen it happen... its your life...

I used to work in a garage, I've seen it happen... its your life...

If you've seen a car fall off axle stands, then it was never put on them properly.
Working in a garage doesn't mean you know where to put axle stands by default...

If axle stands are good ebough for WRC teams to use to work under, they are good enough for most of us that don't have the convenience of a 2/4 poster at our disposal.