URGENT HELP REQUIRED: RNS-E

Dilligaf-UK

Chugging along
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Guys and Gals

Urgently need an answer to an RNS-E installation problem relating directly to the A4 with BOSE (the ICE/SATNAV forum seems a tad quiet hence the reason for posting here)

I've bought an adapter cable from Fleabay (not a Kufatec one) and it doesn't have a BOSE pin fitted in slot 7 of connector B, I've had a rummage round on t'internet and found that you have to move the pin from B5 to B7 - so I've done that....

But, I've also seen in some places (but not all) that you need to move a pin from C7 to B5 - does anyone know definitively if this pin needs to be moved?? Reason I ask, is that C7 appears to be vacant, so there is no pin to move to B5!

Confused? Me too...

I just want to get this installed and working!

Oh, and a related question - when moving the pins, do both ends need to be shifted, or just the Quadlock end??

Should have bought a KUFATEC one!

You only have to move the bose pin on the quad lock end.

edit - You have to move it from 3 to 7 not 5!

Ahhhh - makes sense, I wondered why I'd be losing the K-Line connection.

Do I take it the C7 pin swap is a red herring then?

Thanks for the info - one last question re the coding - if I don't get it coded immediately, will it work in the interim, or is it going to be useless until I can find someone to do the business for me?

Thanks again

Should work but just won't show on the DIS etc

Ignore other pin swap

Well, its in and working - and I love it already!

Such a simple upgrade, but it really transforms the interior!

Got to relocate the GPS antenna as its currently struggling to pick up many satellites - my fault, didn't have time to pull the glovebox out to stash it properly.

I've got the radio station info etc displayed in the DIS, but should I get directions too?

I can only get direction sif I turn my RNS-E off and back on again, then the directions pop up... it's a bug on earlier models or something... has to be done every time the igniftion is turned off... otherwise the DISjsut scrolls stright past it.... once it's been "activated" (off and back on), then it scrolls through the directions as one of the DIS categories (blank, 1, 2, trip, directions).

A simple pin map from your old radio to your rns would solve the pin relocation, just follow the old pin through the adapter & to the quadlock & see if its in the correct location as per the label on the top of the rns, your old radio should also have a label to see where the Bose pin was originally, its that easy.

Should you get a menu on the D.I.S once the RNS-E is installed on a b6?

I can only get direction sif I turn my RNS-E off and back on again, then the directions pop up... it's a bug on earlier models or something... has to be done every time the igniftion is turned off... otherwise the DISjsut scrolls stright past it.... once it's been "activated" (off and back on), then it scrolls through the directions as one of the DIS categories (blank, 1, 2, trip, directions).

Mine does this too! I always thought it was a fault.
Is this something that can be fixed with a firmware upgrade?

I have just took my RNS-E DVD out and noticed that my Bose wire on the Kufatec adaptor goes from B7 to D12 which is the power connector KL.31. Just wanted to check if this is correct or not. When i put it in i thought it didn't sound as good as my Symphony II that i replaced.

The issue with the DIS not displaying the nav info is known and not fixable. At least not yet. B6's only had RNS-E with a colour DIS, this is the reason. It does, occasionally, work as it should on mine, seems to be when I unlock the car and wait a while before starting her up.