1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent help required please.....

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by S4_dan, Dec 14, 2008.

1. S4_dan

S4_dan Fire up the Quattro! VCDS Map User

[Dec 14, 2008]
    Hi all,

I'm currently away from home and this morning i moved my 1.8T sport forward about 10yards, the car started fine with no problems, nor has there been anything to get suspicious about whilst starting the car. Yet I've just gone to move my car back and there is nothing!?!?! THe car battery has good charge, all the lights work and they don't even dim at all when i turn the key!

THere is no clicking of the solenoid or any relays and the starter motor doesn't even attemp to turn.

i've tried rocking the car in gear and tapping the starter through the small hole i can see it behind the turbo.

any other suggestions please?

vag-com doesnt bring up any faults other than my abs sensors on the rear but they have always come up.

the fuel light is on and the mileage went from 5 to 0 miles just from moving the car by hand from a slight slope to level ground. the fuel gauge does move a bit so its not completely empty and cant see how that would prevent the car from attempting to start.

thanks in advance.

dan
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 24, 2014]

3. Siena

Siena Active Member

[Dec 14, 2008]
    It sounds like either of 2 things:

1) Starter motor fault.
    2) Igbition switch fault.

I'd be inclined to go with a faulty ignition switch, quite a common fault.

At least, you can get a bump start, to get you home, then look further into the problem in daylight.
  4. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Dec 14, 2008]
    If it was the ignition switch, it should be easy enough to remove the steering wheel cowling and run a test lead between the big live and the starter solenoid feed on the back of the ignition switch to get it started without the effort of bumpstarting... I'm not sure what colors you should be looking for but i can find out if need be...
  5. S4_dan

[Dec 14, 2008]
    Hi,

If you could find the wire colours out for me please that would be great.
    To be honest where the car is and the gradient of the slope to push it out of would be very difficult.
    Towing would be difficult too due to the sharp left bend exiting the drive!

DOing it via the wires would be a better option.

Regards,

Dan
  6. aragorn

[Dec 14, 2008]
    Manual says red-black is the starter feed, and red is the main live, so if you try bridging those two, with the ignition on and see what happens.
  7. S4_dan

[Dec 15, 2008]
    Stripped the cowling off tonight and all i did was move the main connector block at the end of the igniton barrel and everything is working again now.

Very strange though how it just seems that needed moving ever so slightly to get it working.

Cheers guys.

Dan
  8. aragorn

[Dec 15, 2008]
    its probably signs that its on its way out mate, i'd look at changing the switch anyway