Urgent help needed

Stuart_A3_Turbo

Reaction score
guys, got a major problem with the car. We were driving back from southend when suddenly the car started to sound really rough and didnt seem to have the power. We pulled over and it was running very very rich as our flame kit was lighting it all. Anyway, we switched car off for a while, sat there, drove away, same thing. All of a sudden, the power kicked back in, car sounded great and no probs at all. So we drove about a bit to check all was ok, then boom, it happens again. We pull over, switch off engine, start up 10 minsd later, its perfect again. Get home, leave it on idle for 15 mins, and there she goes again. WHAT IS WRONG PLEASE HELP!!!

It might be a Coilpack on its way out.
I rang Audi up and had them bring a RAC truck out and take it to the dealers as i didnt want to drive it too much on 3 cylinders.
Does the car shake? and doesnt it sound really rough as though something mechanical inside the engine is not working?

yep car shakes engine sounds ok, more exhaust sounding ***** and as i said, rapidly overfuelling. I was wondering if it was the MAF as i have an induction kit on it....

plus, it has just been serviced. Could you explain this coilpack a bit more? im useless at engines and have no idea what im doing.

Yes I totally agree with RIx_3. It alsmot certainly is a coil pack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Just phone Roadside Asistance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif(as long as the car is still in warranty) 0800 699999. If your lucky they will send out an engineer who will change the coils on the spot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif DON'T drive to far as unburnt fuel cna damage the catalytic converter and that could be expensive for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif Good Luck and DO IT NOW

What do you mean by over-fueling? is unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust?

Each cylinder has a coilpack and sometimes these go which means the car will lose the corresponding cyclinder effectivly running the engine on 3 cylinders.

Here is a website made by a forum member which explains it all.

What is a coilpack?

Its a long part which slots into the top of the engine under your engine cover.
Approx £60 if you have no warranty.... FOC if you do.

Right, i bought the car from carland second hand, its under warranty with them but its modified. Should i put it back to standard and put the cat back on (ive got a decat). Is it an expensive job??

I might just take it to audi and get them to do it as carland are useless

Please could someone explain a coilpack??

Ive put the link in my previous post.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif
Just dont drive it too much.
I would say that audi should change it regardless of mods..... its a common part that fails.

right, i have a flame kit. SPark plug in exhaust lights fuel vapour for show purposes. It only produces small flames (1 foot max). It was flaming to the point of huge huge huge flames so i switched it off.

wow i didnt know they were kits!
yes it would be due to the fact that because your running on 3 cylinders the unburnt fuel from the forth cylinder would pass thru the system causing your flames to be bigger! but too much unburnt fuel thru the cats is bad....... unless youve got all of them removed?

[ QUOTE ]
Riz S3 said:
Ive put the link in my previous post.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif
Just dont drive it too much.
I would say that audi should change it regardless of mods..... its a common part that fails.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the problem, warranty is with carland but we need to drive 30 miles a day for work, will i be ok til i get it done middle of week?

[ QUOTE ]
Riz S3 said:
wow i didnt know they were kits!
yes it would be due to the fact that because your running on 3 cylinders the unburnt fuel from the forth cylinder would pass thru the system causing your flames to be bigger! but too much unburnt fuel thru the cats is bad....... unless youve got all of them removed?

[/ QUOTE ]

no cat on car, complete powerflow system.

Thanks for all your help guys, you are the best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

You might be better not to drive the car..... if you dont have audi warranty then your probably not covered with RAC roadside assistance..... just get to a dealer and see what they say about it.
Was your car from new? or secondhand? did you pay extra for carland warranty?

OK. the coil on most cars is a seperate item that and usuallu there is only one and a high thension lead goes form it to the centre of the distributor (that funny thing that looks like part of a milking machine). That then in turn distributes the high voltage power to each of the spark plugs in turn. Ok so far? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
On the S3 there are TWO COIL PACKS one for two plugs and one for the other two, but the coil has the two plug leads atached to it and it therefor is one unit. Thus requiring TWO COIL PACKS for each S3 or TT and some of the other cars winthin the group. Better now?

[ QUOTE ]
could this be due to the service? it was serviced on thursday.... new plugs etc

[/ QUOTE ] i dont think anybody has actually pin-pointed the cause of the failures except bad batch or design! dont worry too much, worst case you`ll have to buy a coilpack from the audi dealers or vagparts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

bought it second hand from carland, this is the first problem we have had and it seems strange that its just after a service. if its only gonna cost that much ill pay for it rather than go through warranty and have to wait, we need the car every day.

you are great, i cant thank you enough, she will use car tomorrow for work and monday ill get it in for a new coilpack work is only 15 miles there and back so should be ok. Once its been idle for a while, it starts and goes no probs. thanks again ppl

Right this is what i would do.

1. call audi dealer and get cost for part (coilpack)
and fitting (labour charge)

2. call carland up and tell them your car has this problem and this is how much it is going to cost.
confirm with them what action they will take? either they will arrange for the dealers to do it or 3rd party or tell you to pay for it then give them the bill which they will re-inburse you.

3. go to dealer if they say its ok to claim back off carland later.

4. job done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Stuart, u have been given loads of advice on what to do regarding the problem with ur car but one thing i think ur failing to grip is that we r seriously suggesting to u is to NOT to drive the car in its current state. R u willing to risk a more serious component failure??

It aint worth it

[ QUOTE ]
MO-S3 said:
Stuart, u have been given loads of advice on what to do regarding the problem with ur car but one thing i think ur failing to grip is that we r seriously suggesting to u is to NOT to drive the car in its current state. R u willing to risk a more serious component failure??

It aint worth it

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, no worries, mate just lent me his uno turbo (167bhp of pure fun) so car will be towed to audi monday morning to get it sorted. thanks ppl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hug.gif

No probs....... i remember when my coilpack failed.... i was well scared! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Riz S3 said:
No probs....... i remember when my coilpack failed.... i was well scared! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Scared?? thats putting it very mildly matey !! I think a more appropriate term would be 'in tears' !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

tis a bit scary, owned 4 cars, this is the first time ive ever had a problem with any of them and it sounded serious..... but thanks to some great advice i may keep it off road and just add a few more bits while im at it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Scared?? thats putting it very mildly matey !! I think a more appropriate term would be 'in tears' !!

[/ QUOTE ] ermmmmmm ok i cant disagree......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif its my S3 innit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Is dat why ur girlfriend dumped u ?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Scared the hell outta me though, suddenly seeing a massive flame from behind, drivers flashing like mad, not knowing what to do. All i could think was getting home and asking you lot. You can all go to bed now, satisfied that you have helped someone out. Your good deed for the day has been done. Catch ya all later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Is dat why ur girlfriend dumped u ??

[/ QUOTE ] mmmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hey man im only messin, sso dont get upset and end up in tears ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hey man im only messin, sso dont get upset and end up in tears ok

[/ QUOTE ] hehe im ok......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif so just curious has anybody had a turbocharger sucessfully change under Audi warranty? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lyrac said:
On the S3 there are TWO COIL PACKS one for two plugs and one for the other two, but the coil has the two plug leads atached to it and it therefor is one unit. Thus requiring TWO COIL PACKS for each S3 or TT and some of the other cars winthin the group. Better now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry is yours missing two packs? The A3/S3 has four coil packs one per cylinder per spark plug, that's why the car will run on three cylinders...NOT two!

I agree with everyone else Stuart, it does sound like a coil pack problem, but that doesn't mean it can't be down to another ignition problem.
I doubt very much it's the MAF, as that would tend to cause the engine to run lean, especially when the MAF is dirty, as this causes the resistor to retain more heat, which basically tells the ECU that less air is coming in.

Gambbas right... Its one coil pack per cylinder, and i wouldnt have thought that it would just go on an S reg car... never recall any problems with 1998/1999 cars.

I would get a VAG-COM plugged in if u can... guaranteed to be a fault code... but it DOES sound like its only running on 3 cylinders.

Rich