urgent help needed s3 rear spring

builder al

Reaction score
Morning lads can anyone help me . just gone to clean the car and its sitting low and leaning over to the right , I have jacked the motor up and the rear spring is sitting at an angle .I hit a large pothole last night near to my home. the spring is not broken but it seems solid .I dont want to go to the stealers , but do i need a special tool? or is it something I could do?
perhaps there is somebody could instruct me through the procedure .I would be very gratefull of all and any input thanks lads Iknow its early .regards builder AL:wtf:
057.jpg

056.jpg

055.jpg

054.jpg

if the spring has manage to move that much id be suprised if you havent bent anything to be honest its unlikely that the spring would just move, post up some pics and it will be easier to examine and to guide you by

I have a rear S3 spring sat here if its any help, Im near Huddersfield. Spring came off when I fitted new suspension I also had 1 broken one.

hi Kev s3 I think my photos are attached now if not there shooting round in outer space. thanks mate al

yup broken spring, just jack up the car, remove wheel and remove bolt from shocker at bottom end. the hub can then be forced down and the spring removed. easy job, bit harder getting the replacement full spring back in. Can be better with 2 of you to refit.

oh the reason its moved so much is there is a full coil missing that locates on that bottom lug in the middle of your pic

TT quattro spring from euro car parts is £35
Same spring

Jas

yeah not as bad as i first thought it might have been, looks like the bottom of the spring has broken possibly some time ago and going over the pot hole was enough to make the broken part of the spring come away and thus make the rest of the spring then to not sit correctly, might be worth getting some h+r srings now thats what i done when i found my spring had broken :)

yup broken spring, just jack up the car, remove wheel and remove bolt from shocker at bottom end. the hub can then be forced down and the spring removed. easy job, bit harder getting the replacement full spring back in. Can be better with 2 of you to refit.

Yup, it's not a difficult job. I did mine this weekend.

It's easier however if you jack up the car and put an axle stand in just in front of the rear wheel, you can then jack up the hub to compress the spring slightly and make it easier to undo the damper. This also helps when reattaching as you can align everything up making it easier to bolt together again.

I agree with 2 people making it easier, standing on the hub is sufficient force to release/replace the spring. I found the worst part removing the bump stop from the lower part as it was on very tight, I had to angle grind it off in the end!!