Urgent help needed on worn tyres...

Jordi

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I picked up my A4 Black edition sep 1st and after having nearly 8 months and covered around 9,500 miles Audi today have told me I have around 500 miles left in both the front wheels but backs are totally fine.

Can I get your comments on this as to me this seems crazy...had the car not even 8 months and already have to purchase to new continentals for the front at £250 each.

Any help / advise would be great...

Jordan

Smoking traffic light drag racing takes its toll:racer:

What size tyres are they?

Ha ha no quite mate.

The tyres are 255/35/19

What you think?...

Looks a fair price. Looking about you can get them a touch cheaper but considering its the dealers I'd say it was a good price

I'd be asking why they haven't lasted 10,000 miles though. I assume they were new when you bought the car? You don't have to get Conti's though. Theres plenty of threads on here with peoples opinions on tyres. Wear, grip, noise etc. I used to get Michelins all the time until someone I know who runs a tyre centre asked why. I thought with being expensive they were good (which they were) but I've had Avon's on my A3 for a while now and can't complain, and they were half the price :icon_thumright:

Yes that is my issue...why they are gone already on front!! not bothered about the price only why are they worn out already.

Yes car was brand new 61 plate as took delivery 1st sep...

I'd ask that they do a 4 wheel alignment on it, if they're able to. So you didn't feel any pulling to one side while driving or any wheel wobble? Obviously wheels will be balanced when replaced. Have both tyres worn the same on the front? It could possibly be an issue with the suspension, ball joints, track rod ends??? I'm not saying you would, but bon't assume that as its a new car there isn't a problem with it. I'd even be cheeky and asking for a contribution towards the cost at that mileage.

have you actually looked at the tyres yourself? dont assume what theyre telling you is actually the case.

Thats contis for you.I ran sportcontact 2's on my b7 and they lasted 8000 miles.9500 is quite good for them on the front.They are a very soft tyre, but grip like hell (bar the sport contact 3's).Imrunning the conti 5p's on the front of my b8 at the mo, and have only done 4000 on them and they seem ok, but i wouldnt expect them to last past 10000.Great grip but a very soft sidewall that makes it handle like a citroen.Ill wear em down and go back to my bridgestone s001's that i have on the rear.The contis are a lot cheaper online, try
http://www.tyretraders.com/tyresearchresults.aspx?width=255&ratio=35&rim=19&man=Continental&flat=False&filter=Price&

ftype=Ascending&pricing=1&cat=All&speed=All&Loading=All&tyreType=All

or

Continental Sport Contact 5P | lovetyres.com

Thanks guys for your advice on this....still find it strange !

Report from Audi is as follows...

Front left - outer 2 / middle - 2 / inner 2
Front right - outer 3 / middle 3 / inner 3
Rear right - outer 6 / middle 6 / inner - 6
rear left - outer 6 / middle 6 / inner 6

When I had my Focus st (2.5 turbo) The continentals lasted about 10-11k on the front.

What engine is it, my mate has a Passat with the 2.0 tdi 170 and that goes through tyres every 10k.

I normally avoid the hamfisted fools, but Kwik Fit are offering 25% off tyres until the end of May.

Thanks guys for all the comments really appreciate it.

Maybe this is pretty normal....like I say its coming up to 8 months I've had it so 10k miles in this time must have been what has caused it etc...hopefully will get few more weeks out of them.

Check tyre pressure, there is a few posts on here about cars coming from new with the tyres set on max load pressure, this won't help the tyre life,

10k for conti sports and all that power is about right if you've enjoyed driving it ;)

Looking at the wear levels posted the tyre pressures are spot on, as is the geometry. I ran Contis for one set, and got 8k front and 11k rear so your tyre wear sounds good.

Avoid Kwikfit like you'd avoid the plague. If they don't rip you off then they'll ****** your alloys. Or something equally nasty.

Michelin! You pay the price but feel the difference...but you should indeed have the tracking checked even if the car is new.

Having the tracking checked is a pointless exercise. If anything, you need a full geometry check, but as the tyre wear is reasonably equal across the axles and also reasonably what would be expected front to rear then it's doubtful that there are any issues with the geometry.