1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uprated intercooler

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by Redbul89, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Redbul89

Redbul89 New Member

Hi there I was wondering if anyone knows a good place to get a uprated intercooler for a audi a3 2.0tdi 170 s line?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kimhemm

kimhemm Member

I think that THS makes one that should be fine

4. JJ.Foulds

JJ.Foulds Well-Known Member

I think thats the best one available that goes in the OEM place!

5. manor13

manor13 Active Member

not sure about the diesel but on the 2.0tfsi we changed to the S3 Oem fitting

6. flying oyster

flying oyster flying oyster

s3 intercooler slots in old ones place just have to change the boost pipes fitting or you could buy a hardpipe kit from darkside also they do intercooler for 250

in my experience unless your running 300 bhp plus the stock intercooler is man enough for the job

7. Bagley-S3

Bagley-S3 Member

I've just put a pro alloy in my S3 and haven't yet got around to advertising the standard one. Would make a great value for money upgrade. £250 posted if your interested and I'm 95% sure it will bolt into the OEM hole and you will just need to adapt the boost pipes or like above buy a Darkside hardpipe kit,

Craig :icon_thumright:

8. hollow

hollow Active Member

why would you need an uprated cooler ? standard one is good for 240 bhp.

9. manor13

manor13 Active Member

from what i have seen its a pre 2009 S3 as the new ones have plastic end tanks

10. kimhemm

kimhemm Member

It's not always about how much power you CAN make on the old intercooler. But a better intercooler with less pressure drop will make more power with the same map and the turbo will last longer

11. TDI140

TDI140 Well-Known Member

I have an s3 one to go in my car next year will fit it in the summer due to **** weather now, also mainly bought it as its a decent upgrade and my stock cooler has oil deposit in it due to turbo blowing earlier this year, car will benefit from egr delete ive been told when installing a bigger cooler but wont see much power gains unless your running bigger turbo and other supporting mods

12. TDI140

TDI140 Well-Known Member

Also intake temps will be lower etc with bugger cooler allowing the car to function more efficiently so over all its a big thumbs up

13. TDI140

TDI140 Well-Known Member

Bigger* sorry for mis typing words im on iphone

14. TDI140

TDI140 Well-Known Member

image.jpg

Picture of rear due to oil in intercooler this is two weeks worth lol

15. hollow

hollow Active Member

true but speaking from experience i used to own a 140 with standard front mount and hybrid this was mapped to 231 bhp ,limiting factor was injectors not the cooler and egt's were fine .

you also have to think audi spend millions up millions on development im sure there coolers are as efficient as possible ,the s3 one maybe a good upgrade but i wouldnt go aftermarket.

16. kimhemm

kimhemm Member

Audi will only put an intercooler on the car that works well enough for the power that it makes stock. And if you really believe that Audi have made the best solution to the car/engine, why did you put another turbo on the car :icon_thumright:

It could be that the injectors was the limit on your car, but a better intercooler will always be good on a turbo charged engine allowing you to make the same power with less boost

TDI140 likes this.