Uprated engine mountings

dan1

Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know where i can get uprated of stiffened engine mounts or snub nose mount for the 2.5 V6?

Have searched net and cant find anything!!!!!!

Hi

Thanks

Its a 2.5 V6 Tdi,

It seems to have alot of movement on gear change, I had heard of uprated snub mounts (?) that will stiffen up the engine movement somewhat....

Everything else about the car feels tight, except for the engine

I believe Audi uses the same type of snub mount adaptor for all engines. Since we don't get TDI's in North America I can't confirm. I know the 4cly and 6cyl's in the USA use the same snub mount piece.

If so, you have two options.
One being APR's snub mount, fits 1.8T and 3.0L, so I bet it fits the V6 2.5L TDI.
http://www.goapr.com/Audi/products/engine_mount.html

The other is Neuspeed's snub mount (fits same engines). Can be purchased via Neuspeed or Greedspeed. Greedspeed is slightly cheaper.
http://greedspeed.com/applications/2002-...nual_auto_trans

I personally have the Neuspeed snub mount on my 2002 3.0L. It does feel a lot better, even though I have a Tiptronic. My buddy put the APR snub on his 3.0L 6spd and he says the improvement is like night and day.

hey thanks ds... wasnt expecting a reply after so long....

have ordered the red one off apr uk and am awaiting delivery... my tank of an engine is big so i felt that something meaty should be there to keep movement in place....information needed to confirm which one came from a US webb site so thanks guys!!!

The headquarters of the company I work for is in Washington, am trying to get friendly with one of the guys out there who likes cars so I can get him to mail parts over from the states, you guys have some good tuners over there!

No problem mate.

I decided to dig through the archives to see what I've missed the last couple of months since I've been away a lot for work.

BTW, the V6 models take a bit of work to get the snub on. You have to take off the front bumper and then loosen the radiator support to get it on. It's actually quite easy to do but it's best if you have an extra set of hands to help you when taking the bumper off.

Good luck with the install!

-Dan

Anyone know where to get these in the UK? will this take the notchy feeling out of gear changes?

Hi

APR UK, www.goapr.co.uk have them...

best to phone and order... I ordered the red one, part number apr-sm10004 from them, I understand this is the one that will fit my car.... or atleast thats the one that WILL be fitting to my car lol.... I know thgey have one spare currently... hope that helps...

Nice post for the v6 instructions...!

Has anyone actually fitted one of these to a 1.8t Quattro and if so can you give any feedback on how good the mod is.

I fitted this on a couple 1.8T's locally. It's a very quick job (30mins max) and the change is very noticable if you have a Manual/Standard Transmission. It's not as noticeable if you have a Tiptronic but it IS still noticable.
I currently have one installed on my 2002 3.0L Tiptronic.

Thanks DS

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Which one to use. APR or Neuspeed?

Both are different in design.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly for the 4cyl Manual Tranny's I don't think it matters.

The APR snub fits perfectly straight out of the box and the Neuspeed snub needs to have the edges rubbed down (file or sand) to allow it to fit less snug. The tighter it fits the more engine vibration that you'll feel at idle, which is bad.

I have the Neuspeed one and filed it down before installing it and I have absolutely no vibration issues at all.

Thanks for the tip DS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I'd heard that you can get vibration at idle so I'll do as you say.

I ordered a Neuspeed one yesterday from EuroCode Tuning @ $23.00 + shipping.

I'll post up results

BUB

I am going to go for the APR one. It looks very similar to ones I have seen and is available from Awesome on next day. Slightly more expensive but what the heck!

Just looked at this vibration issue on the seat cupra forum site and some of these guys who have used the harder bushes - I guess like APR one - are getting very bad vibration at idle.

D S - did your buddy with the APR snub have this problem??

Also I am guessing the Neuspeed one is softer??

My friends who have the APR said they've not had any issues. It's all about how you install it. I do believe that the Neuspeed snub is a bit softer. Below are some pics of the installations we did on 1.8T's and 3.0L's.

Make sure that when it's installed and before you tighten all the bolts, turn the engine on and let the bracket + snub mount position itself in the center of the cup on the bumper. It also helps to rub down the edges of the snub that faces the bumper.

Below is the APR snub on the 1.8T bracket.
APRSnub_3.jpg

APRSnub_1.jpg

From Left to Right:
Stock / APR / Neuspeed
snubs3.jpg

snubs2.jpg

snubs.jpg

snubs4.jpg

D S - thanks very much for the detailed reply. Much appreciated.

I spoke to a supplier in England (Awesome) who tried both types on a 1.8t this week. They preferred the Neuspeed one as it gave no vibration at idle at all.

I have ordered a Neuspeed one and will try it.

Thanks again for your help.

Great post DS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for taking the time to post the pic's

My Neuspeed bush has turned up from the "Good ol' US of A".

I'll try to fit it this week. Will let you all know how it goes.....................

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

hi there.
sounds like you will be busy this weekend fitting more new stuff.
we have just got ourselves a 2001 1.8t sport with the same issue.
will be ordering a new one next month aswell - what i find strange is the fact that the car has only done 37k and that the engine mount is that soft already or are pretty soft to start off with?

anyways good luck with fitting.

Hello

I don't think it's just how 'soft' they are but also the size of them too. If you look a the pic's DS posted you can see why the APR and Neuspeed ones have less movement.

BUB

I fitted the Neuspeed Snub on Saturday.

It's an easy job and took just over 30 mins. This included grinding the corners off the mount. It's a snug fit in the bracket out of the box and I didn't take a chance with vibration at idle. I only took off about 3mm at the 4 corners and even then it's still nice and snug. I'm pleased to report it feels the same at idle now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

782316-neuspeed_snub_mount_012.jpg

Now the bit you're all waiting for! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can't believe the difference it’s made to the gear change!

It just feels more solid and positive. There’s virtually no movement at all when you accelerate and let off again. 1st to 2nd is much, much better now – it always felt like a mile between 1st and 2nd but with the engine and ‘box in check it now feels closer (and faster!)................... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Overall another great cheap mod for you 1.8t boys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I can't wait to fit my AMS Shortshifter now, the gear change will be fantastic!

nice one bub.
as soon as pay day comes i will be on the phone to get me one of these sorted out.
i would say its the one thing that lets this car down, but looks like this sorts it out once and for all.

Neuspeed snub fitted today. Followed Bub's suggestion and had the corners shaved. All seems fine at the moment.

Certainly an improvement but not really had a chance to fully test.

well, nuespeed on order for me aswell.
awesome gti did not have in stock, so place order with eurocode direct from the states.
I have a couple of days off work next week, if its here it will give me something to do.

mount arrived and fitted today.
just been out for a little drive and i must say that this is how i would have expected the car to drive from new.
I left the leave the engine mount as it is and just fitted it.
No vibes on gears stick at idle and only thing is slightly more cabin noise when idle, but i can live with that as it drives so much better.
And what a breaze to fit. 25mins job done. Easy.
I think this should be high on everyones first thing to do when i get my A4 list.

Great write up lad's, only one thing how do you access this part, is it from underneath, do you have to have access to a pit or lifts, and what parts do you have to remove in order for the new bush to fit over. Where is it located in relation to the engine?
Thanks in advance.

speaking for the 4 cylinder bunch:-
undertray off - 10 screws.
3 x 6mm allen boltsthat hold mount on.
3 x 13mm nuts that hold part the bush fit into on the cross member below the rad.
and the reverse to re-fit.
easy as that.

[ QUOTE ]
speaking for the 4 cylinder bunch:-
undertray off - 10 screws.
3 x 6mm allen boltsthat hold mount on.
3 x 13mm nuts that hold part the bush fit into on the cross member below the rad.
and the reverse to re-fit.
easy as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
No vibes on gears stick at idle and only thing is slightly more cabin noise when idle, but i can live with that as it drives so much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have mine on order too but not arrived yet. Looking forward to fitting it but just wondering whether to do Bubs shaving the corners mod first. Jay says its increased cabin noise - did the shaved corners bunch find the same or do you think the shaved corners stops this??

Thanks in advance. Simon.

TBH I can't see how it would increase cabin noise........ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As I said before Simon I ground the corners first - I didn't try it 'out of the box'.

Maybe you could give it a go?

I'm still waiting for my shortshifter, will post up when fitted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif.

i think the cabin noise comes from the fact that the un-shaved mount is always in contact with the chassis.
with the corners cut down a little this contact is removed.
The best description i can give you would be, you know when the idle drops right off just before an engine cuts out. Its like that but no where near as loud.