1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upper Control Arm

Discussion in 'Handling' started by DAMO1.9TDI, May 20, 2007.

1. DAMO1.9TDI

DAMO1.9TDI 130BHP+,A4+ K & N Filter, Tuning Box.

[May 20, 2007]
    Hi There

I was trying to change the two upper control arms on both sides on my 2002 Audi a4 1.9Tdi, The problem i am having is that I cannot release the bolt the is holding the two ball joints in place. The nut came off but I cannot release the bolt. I tried raising the suspension using a trolley jack at the base of track control arm and tried freeing the bolt at different position while raising it but still would not free.
    What am i doing wrong?

Regards
    Damien
    :hubbahubba:
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. terrysingh

terrysingh Member

[May 22, 2007]
    hello mate
    i had the same problem on mine, the nut came off but the bolt wouldnt slide out, basically with allot of banging with a thin rod WD40 and my dad turning the bolt with a spanner at the same time the bolt came out, i noticed that it was bent due to the way the the bolt holds the ball joints, very stranger design, had to buy new bolts though!!!
  4. johnie72

johnie72 Member

[May 22, 2007]
    A simpler and less painful way would be to buy yourself a 'ball joint splitter'.
  5. terrysingh

terrysingh Member

[May 22, 2007]
    tried that, but the bolt in question runs through a notch on the ball joint end, hence you have to remove the bold inorder to get the ball joints out....right pain,
  6. enda1

enda1 Member

[May 23, 2007]