1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading stereo

robby Apr 18, 2010

1. robby

robby Active Member

I'm wanting to fit a later stereo with the chrome buttons to my 06my but i'm not sure what i need as there seem to be so many differences.
    I've read i need an aerial adapter, wiring block but i've read the newer model has an amplifier in the tailgate and without this i'll get a poor signal?

Can i buy the amplifier and will it fit in the tailgate or will i need to drill/ stick it in there (are holes already in place? does it replace whatever is already there?)

I've been offered just the stereo (6 disc) for £100 so how much would everything else cost?

Cheers

2. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

well if you can elabourate on what stereo you have and what youre switching to im sure that we could advise

by this i mean concert syphony rns-e etc

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Moderator

Should be a straight swap on an 06 plate if you are fitting a later Audi HU. Audi changed to quadlock around 05, but I guess you need to check yours if it's an early 06 as there was quite a crossover, I've seen 05's quadlock and ISO.

4. robby

robby Active Member

5. robby

robby Active Member

Any help please :unsure:

6. martinivw

martinivw :)

I done the single din to double din swap and I would advise to buythe kit from kufatec.com this will give u removal keys, ariel plug and iso to quadlock loom basically all u needfor the conversion I got mine from eBay and had to mess around with cables and got the wrong ariel plug my car is a 2006 model and I had to get new ariel amplifiers from a later model, "johns3" was a great help to me about this matter drop him a pm

7. scottie123

scottie123 (●̮̮̃•̃) (●&#

You will need new aerial amps in the boot. Otherwise you will not get reception for radio. It will be ok for 30 sec's 'ish , then just cut to very poor reception. As said, see Johns3's guide in the faq's (it is for rns-e fix, but you need to do the reverse of what he has done).You could do a swap with somebody that is looking to fix their aerial issue with rns-e,to keep costs down.

I bought an rns-e harness from ebay, and the aerial adapter. Small wiring change to the harness. 1 wire piggybacked to another.

It will then work properly. You will not need vcds to any coding.

Hope that helps.

8. robby

robby Active Member

9. PH1L

PH1L Gievf Buckets

yeah theyre the same fixings if you check out johns guide youll get the pics someone will confirm on the harness

10. scottie123

scottie123 (●̮̮̃•̃) (●&#

11. robby

robby Active Member

Thanks Scottie, just bought both amps for £20 so if i buy the adapter is there anything else i need apart from removal keys? - oh and stereo :think:

12. geraint.davies

geraint.davies Member

Hi, we spoke before, I have the stereo that you are looking for and the adaptor for the quadlock and aerial, pictures are in the classifieds. Could do the wholelot for £100 plus delivery, can't be bothered to put on ebay! Letme know.

13. scottie123

scottie123 (●̮̮̃•̃) (●&#

14. robby

robby Active Member

Sent PM :icon_thumright:

15. martinivw

martinivw :)

Thats why i got the ebay ones aswell i done the same wireing change as scottie i think( two + required for headunit iirc also had to add a live for rear speakers) was real easy with all the help i got on here