1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading ICE in A3, advice needed!

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by sam_20vturbo, Feb 2, 2007.

1. sam_20vturbo

sam_20vturbo Member

[Feb 2, 2007]
    Hi,

well as you all know the standard Delta soundsystem in A3's is awfull, so im looking to do something about it. Ive got a 98' A3 and am after a nice refined sound, but im not looking to spend a fortune.

I was looking at getting some Infinity Referance speakers all round as ive seen them pretty resonable on Ebay, but will changing the 4 doorspeakers be enough as ive noticed the front speakers are really small?

It already has the audi sub in the back (which isnt worth the room it takes up!) but i dont really want to go down the road of big sub box's ect as i need all the bootspace for my record bags.

One more thing, i dont want to change my headunit either as A) i cant afford it B) Standard looks good C) it will just get nicked :no:

Any help much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Sam
  2. Ads

Ads

[Jan 28, 2015]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 2, 2007]
    Upgrade the fronts & add a stealth sub, forget about the rears. Job done
  4. sam_20vturbo

sam_20vturbo Member

[Feb 2, 2007]
    are the rears really not worth doing? as ive got most of the sound comming out of them atm? i know you cant really hear them with people in the back but theres noone usually in the back.

Sam
  5. SamDude

SamDude Active Member

[Feb 2, 2007]
    Bingo.
  6. AndyMac

[Feb 2, 2007]
    All the perception of sound quality is from the front components. You could put the best speakers in the world in the rear and you'd get little perceived increase in SQ.
    You're fading to the rear probably because the stock front components sound awful because they're pretty nasty units and they can't handle any bass (being only 4" mids). With a stealth sub (or box in the boot) you can fade the bass down to the cabin speakers so this will improve the sound even on the stock units, but upgrading them will improve/soften the higher frequencies as well. The rears really become redundant then, or just provide rear fill, so no real point upgrading them. Their position is lousy and they hang off a fairly flimsy speaker panel/doorcard as well so this will be the limiting factor to the sound quality achievable (rather than the quality of the speaker).
  7. LexDiamond

LexDiamond I love gooooooooooooold

[Feb 3, 2007]
    I wouldn't go with Infinity's. Very bright treble (more like harsh) and very little in the way of mid range clarity or mid bass kick.

Re: the sub. There is a six inch JL you can buy which can be fitted to the standard Audi box with some modifications.
  8. sam_20vturbo

sam_20vturbo Member

[Feb 3, 2007]
    Then what door speakers would you go for? find that odd about infinity, only ever heared good about them....
    Sam
  9. LexDiamond

[Feb 4, 2007]
    If you like the Infinity's then thats great as they are for your listening. Personally I wouldn't want those. The lack of midbass coupled with very bright treble means that when coupled with a sub they have great difficulty in integrating. Since the sub is in the back its always going to make its integration with the front speakers difficult but good mid bass is something that helps a great deal as where the speakers leave off the sub picks up. Thats why I don't like them personally as they are very bad at 80-120hz which is just above where the sub would come in so thats a huge gap in bass.
  10. sam_20vturbo

sam_20vturbo Member

[Feb 4, 2007]
    what would you go for then? Cheers, Sam
  11. LexDiamond

[Feb 4, 2007]
    You should be able to find quite a few good sets on EBay. I would look for Rainbows, DLS, Boston Acoustics, Kenwood Dual Mags, Alpine Type R's or Genesis.
  12. AndyMac

[Feb 4, 2007]
    Well you'll never get mid range punch from any speaker screwed to a flimsy door card, but you need to ensure the tweeter is smooth and not harsh i.e. go with silk domed tweeters if possible.
    BTW you can't just slot a JL Audio sub into the stock sub box, unless the slight mods you refer to are building your own box and adding an amp.