1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading from Audi-sport Suspension. Do you know....

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by imported_AudiOwner96, May 26, 2005.

1. imported_AudiOwner96

imported_AudiOwner96 Guest

Hi Fellas,

I have just taken my car in for a service and the garage has informed me the Rear Shocks need replacing.

I was thinking of upgrading my suspension anyway so now seems a good time to do so.

I want to lower the car slightly, what parts do I need to do this? I have searched the forums and net and found out suspension kits are an option. Priced between £270 - 380 for complete kits.

The car is a 1996 1.8t sport. Are there any implications of this?

I know it already has sport suspension which is lower (by how much more?) than standard. Most kits state a lowering of 40mm I think this is too much?

Also I read somewhere that the Audi sport suspension only lowers the front, Is this the case? The front is currently ok. could I just get lowered shocks for the back?

The other reason I want to lower it is because I want to get some bigger alloys on it (it has the standard competition 16's at the mo) Someone told me that if I put 18's on it without lowering it, it would look stupid (too high off the ground) is this the case?

Sorry for cramming so many questions into one post. If you can answer any part of it, I'd really appreciate your opinions,

Best wishes,

The Bandit...........
  2. duane

duane Member

I would go for an all round upgrade not just the back. I'm in the process of getting quotes for the same thing myself. If you get a complete kit you wont have to worry about doing the fronts at a later date!!! I think going from 16" to 18" wheels would make your car look higher without a suspension upgrade. 40mm does sound like a big drop, i think between 20-30mm is the norm but people have different opinions. There are plenty people on here that will point you in the right direction and give you some good advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
  3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I thought the sport was already lowered 20 m as std. The lowering kit specs you have mentioned are quoted on the Se spec. So in reality a 40mm drop will actually give you around a 20mm drop over the sport.

As stated make sure you do all shocks and springs, although the kits you have mention probably contain front and rear shocks and springs anyway.

HTH
  4. imported_AudiOwner96

ok. Thanks for the info.

I'm waiting for the garage to come back with some quotes.

Does anyone know where to see pics of a lowered b5 A4 with bigger wheels on?

I'll probably get the chance to take some before/after pics of mine so i'll post em when i have them.
  5. imported_kris_tdi

imported_kris_tdi Guest

6. imported_AudiOwner96

looks good. did you ever think about getting bigger rims? If so what would you go for?

where did you get the "m3 lip" from? Is it easy to fit?

Cheers.
  7. myzeneye

myzeneye Member

i did mine.
    wheels were18"rs4's........standard 1.8t sport shocks (stiff) with g-max lowering springs...40mm....
    lowered it enough for the whells to look right and still get a smooth ride without grounding out on every peice of gravel on the road.... speed bumps where not to bad either....
    its a tw@t of a job to do though.
    didnt notice any immediate drop at first and felt a little cheated after the ordeal of changing them... but after a week or so, it found its level and looked sweet. it also handled like a good'un and stuck to the raod like ***** on a blanket.
  8. greski

greski New Member

[ QUOTE ]

I know it already has sport suspension which is lower (by how much more?) than standard. Most kits state a lowering of 40mm I think this is too much?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how much lower the sport is than standard suspension, but here are some pics of the springs for non-sport vs. sport to maybe give you an idea.

Front
    [​IMG]

Rear
    [​IMG]

The shorter ones in each pic are the sport
  9. imported_AudiOwner96

thanks for the help.
  10. imported_kris_tdi

imported_kris_tdi Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    looks good. did you ever think about getting bigger rims? If so what would you go for?

where did you get the "m3 lip" from? Is it easy to fit?

Cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]
    ill probably get some 18's when the tyres need changing, ill probably get either rs4's or rs6's
    got the m3 lip from bmw, think it was £80
  11. imported_kris_tdi

imported_kris_tdi Guest

thats not strictly true, some companies like koni do several adjustable kits
    they do the red shocks which are 3 stage adjustable and not adjustable on the car and as he said are more for when they start too wear out, they also do the yellow shocks with are multistage adjustable and can easily be adjusted on the car.

so part of what he was saying is true, but there are many very good adjustable shocks out there as well as the more maintenance ones.
  12. imported_kris_tdi

imported_kris_tdi Guest

you also have too remember that many motorsport teams dont use bilstein, yes bilstein are great but there is no reason why theirs are any better than other companies, also obviously depends on how much you spend, a cheap adjustable kit will fade, but if your spending 500 upwards you would expect anything too be good.