1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrading B7 2.0T Quattro Brakes to B7 S4

dan_the_v8man Dec 2, 2009

1. dan_the_v8man

dan_the_v8man Member

I've been doing a bit of mooching round the net and it would appear the B7 S4 uses the same 345mm setup as the Mk5 R32. My car also appears to have the same calipers but on a 320mm setup.

If I bought a pair of B7 S4 Caliper Carriers and discs would they fit my straight onto my B7 2.0T Quattro?

Been to see the parts counter at my local audi dealer, they can't be sure but I did come away with part numbers and prices

S4 Caliper Carriers - 1K0615425B - £57.40 each

S4 345mm x 30mm Discs - 8E0615301T

Now to me the S4 caliper part number looks distinctively like a VW Part number

Thanks

2. jwhat

jwhat Member VCDS Map User

I'm pretty sure they would, maybe get new pads to go with the new disks too.

Don't know anything about the vw part number thing though!

3. dan_the_v8man

dan_the_v8man Member

well i've got some Fereodo DS2500's on order anyway, had them on my vRS and Passat. Other than them being a bit noisy I really cant fault them

4. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Guys, anyone confirm the above part number for the s4 carriers is correct or not? Been googling but the part numbers are varying and I'm struggling to pin point which is right.

5. MK2 Golf 24v

MK2 Golf 24v Member

Yes, it is that simple, new carriers and S4 Discs.

The carriers are the same as the VW ones, you just need the S4 specific discs as the offset is different to the VW 345mm ones.

I did essentially the same thing, S4 discs, but used TTRS Calipers and 345mm adapter brackets.

6. Dani_B19

Ooh I know it's a straight swap pal.

It's finding the part numbers that's the issue, keep getting contradicting info.

7. Just Rob.

Just Rob. Daredevil , Stuntman & allround Petrol Head.... TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Team Brilliant Black Manual

any special reason for upgrading your brakes this way, the last time I looked at it there was very little if any price difference between going with the s4 mod and going with 6 pot brembo's , either way you'll need new disc rotor, pads , s4 carriers and the brembo are way better to start with.....s4 carriers can workout stupid money for what they are even used ones...there are a fair few sources and sellers now doing great deals on 18z's etc and a better setup by far...just my input.

Dani_B19 likes this.
  8. Just Rob.

Just Rob. Daredevil , Stuntman & allround Petrol Head.... TFSI Owners Group VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group S-line owners group Team Brilliant Black Manual

dani there are several part numbers for the carriers , they are the same part but in different finish's
    the plain bog standard carrier is
    1K0615125B x2
    then whatever B7 s4 discs you want from euro bods as they are silly cheap for S4 discs.

Dani_B19 likes this.
  9. Just Rob.

upload_2017-6-27_19-24-59.png

dimitar.tuntov.5 and Dani_B19 like this.
  10. Dani_B19

Cheers rob.

Just thought it would be a cheaper route and a noticeable upgrade with you gaining 24mm.

Clearly not.

11. Just Rob.

well I suppose it is a cheaper route dani but not that much cheaper and considering the 18z setup is so much better and nicer it kinda make sense to be the upgrade to go with, agreed you get 345 discs with the s4 route which are better than the 32omm but the calipers will be the same , the brembo's use 345mm discs but the 6 pot calipers are so much better, just my input dani.

12. dimitar.tuntov.5

dimitar.tuntov.5 Well-Known Member

If 345 carriers are £50 each that will work like £110 for carriers and £150 for discs and pads ...
    for £250 you can't touch 18z + still need discs and pads which are £150+!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member

When I upgraded to 320mm front and 288mm rear I was considering buying the carriers and discs to have S4 fronts but the things that put me off were firstly having to pay over £100 for carriers (at the time I was looking £150+ but please link where you found them for £114.80 as it might make me interested again haha), secondly the S4 uses 300mm rear so I'd rather have the same balance the factory used and thirdly (but probably most importantly for me) the way in which you can generally get deals for front and rear discs and pads but I couldn't do this if mine were miss matched between S4 front and 2.0T rear brakes. I got these and they've served me well so far http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A4-2-0T-FSi-01-05-12-07-Front-Rear-Brake-Discs-Pad-/110761094699?fits=Car+Make:Audi|Model:A4&hash=item19c9e02e2b:g:1~IAAOSw44BYSsSR also from what I recall (without deals and all that jazz) S4 front discs generally cost a load more money than 2.0t.

Not trying to put anyone off just sharing my own experience and thought process.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  14. Just Rob.

when i first looked at S4 fronts upgrade on my special edition it worked out a lot more than £250 to be honest and gave it a miss, then looked at the situation a second time and still not much change price wise then noticed that brembo upgrades were not much more money for a far better setup.
    opted to go brembo route all in cost me a few quid over £500 and very happy with it.
    So pound for pound the brembo route either 17z or 18z is in my opinion the way to go, far better braking aswell, really nice and progressive during normal driving but epic when you need some instant stopping...and look the part aswell behind 18 and 19" alloys, I suppose all down to personal choice.
    i'm in the process of doing the s4 rear change to even things up.

15. Just Rob.

right then, carrier p/n is deffo 1K0615125B and will cost you lucky people £177.00 inc vat per side so that's £354.00 straight away plus discs from euro bods on discount code so around another £100 for a pair then pads, in which case that lot is going to end up around the £500 mark....which is what I was quoted last year ...so brembos are not that costly in comparison, and a better kit.

Dani_B19 likes this.
  16. DieselJake

DieselJake Well-Known Member

Yeah but where are you getting these carrier prices from and (more importantly for all us considering the upgrade) where is the OP getting his prices from.

Can't say £177.00 per side as if we only have one supplier with one cost.

17. Just Rob.

you can get them cheaper in the states at £55 per side , but add the shipping , vat and duty and they will be even more.

18. dimitar.tuntov.5

Right so from 320mm only carriers, discs and pads - right ?

19. Just Rob.

£177 is the current audi parts price per carrier , caliper body is £226.00 per side ,TPS don't stock it neither do ECP, they are available in from outlet in Europe but prices work out the same and the same in the states, carriers are cheap but shipping vat and duty ramp up the cost ...so unless one can get them from TPS with 10% off trade price , which is not a big amount to be honest your stuck with going to your audi parts dept or finding a used set etc.
    and when I last looked at a set of used ones the guy wanted nearly as much as new ones....I think sellers know what they are worth now to guys wanting to do a cheap upgrade.

20. Just Rob.

correct dimi, the caliper body assembly is the same , so you will need a pair of 1K0615125B which is the non painted ones , a pair of 345 S4 discs , from where ever is your source , and pads .....

21. dimitar.tuntov.5

Just asking still have my nearly new 312mm brakes, 320's which i bought are like new so .... just asking for now !

22. Just Rob.

euro bods are doing this deal on 345 brembo's for a pair , with discount....good time to buy a pair.

s4br.JPG

23. dimitar.tuntov.5

I have to buy Mtec drilled and grooved to match my rears
    OEM 320
    IMG_8602.JPG
    And the Mtec
    IMG_8601.JPG

24. Just Rob.

dimi , why does it look like you have rear brakes fitted to your front wheel? , have I missed something ....

25. dimitar.tuntov.5

front left upper pic and front right lower

26. Dani_B19

Rob what discs you using again?

One thing that puts me off is your limited to the merc discs if going the brembo route and then have to get them redrilled. I would like a set of drilled front and rear and doubt I'd get a set to match!

27. Just Rob.

there are a few options dani , you don't have to use the ML AMG55 discs.
    S5 & S4 B8 will fit , they are the right mounting hole size and fixing screw hole is correct, not exactly the same but pretywell close enough in the right places.
    notice the B8 S4 are almost 3lbs lighter per disc.....compared to the amg's , the S5 & S4 B8's are approx. 2mm taller than the AMG's but are in fact 30 mm thick compared to 32mm amg's so it all prettywell even itself out ...
    amgml.JPG

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Dani_B19 likes this.
  28. Just Rob.

forgot to add dani, I currently have the MTEC ML AMG55 discs but probably going to be changing to just drilled disc shortly .
    009.JPG

Dani_B19 likes this.
  29. Just Rob.

or how they are now...

sed2.JPG

Dani_B19 likes this.
  30. Dani_B19

So the b8 discs seem like a winner to me then surely? Is that what your going for next rob?

31. Dani_B19

Would the b8 be a straight fit or would machining be required?

32. Just Rob.

from my in understanding they are a straight fit dani, I think they are the way I am going and if you get them at the right time from ECP they workout a really good price for a pair, I think they will be a lot quieter than the mtech ones I have fitted at the moment.

Dani_B19 likes this.
  33. Dani_B19

I'll wait to see what happens with you first pal haha

34. Just Rob.

non probs dani, I don't mind doing the R&D if it helps others out mate, I'm allways up for a challenge.

Baka and Dani_B19 like this.
  35. s3matty

s3matty Member

Guys I called TPS for the carriers yesterday and they want £110 ish each and that's with trade discount!

I need these cheaper any ideas ??

36. Dani_B19

Good man rob although the brakes are on the back burner now I need a clutch by the looks of it.

37. dimitar.tuntov.5

So £110 for carrier only is too much because on ebay normal price for S4 set up is £250
    If i found them somewhere £50ish i will take them

Dani_B19 likes this.