Upgrading A3 8L suspension?

waggawagga

Reaction score
Hi, what suspension would people recommend for an A3 8L SE? Want improved handling from OEM as well as the improved cosmetic look from it being lowered. Car is currently sitting too high for my liking. Alloys are 18" TTs - so want to avoid wheel rub. How low shoudl I go?

Mostly used for backroads and motorways. I eventually plan to drop a turbo engine in if that matters. Can anyone make any recommendations? Car is a bit of hobby/project for me - in the process of changing to look like an S3 (bumpers, exhaust etc done) - but won't be adding S3 badges etc. I'm a bit a of newbie so please go easy. All help very much appreciated. Many thanks"

a lot of people on here will tell you not to bother turboing it as its a lot of work, and as for suspension, do you want fixed, or adjustable height?

Cheap ebay coilovers (JOM/Jamex etc), rear ARB and super pro caster bushes for the front lower arms.

Job done and perfect for any road car.

Hi S3clarke. Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm not experienced enough to know the work involved but would like more power after fitting the heavy Recaros. Worth getting it chipped even? Anyway, I'm not sure what is best fixed or adjustable - I'd say fixed as I doubt I'll be adjusting once fitted. I just want improved handling and of course better looks. When my insurance is cheaper I will hopefully be able to treat myself to a real S3. Love the shape of thing 8Ls and would love that power. Thanks!

Cheap ebay coilovers (JOM/Jamex etc), rear ARB and super pro caster bushes for the front lower arms.

Job done and perfect for any road car.

Thanks I'll have to read up on what these are exactly (as I said I'm a noob) but that sounds good. Many thanks for getting back to me.

Hi 16Klappe, OK found JOM coilovers on eBay

This right? COILOVER SUSPENSION KIT JOM NEW FOR AUDI A3 8L 96 02 FWD | eBay

Any recommendations on how low to drop it? Was thinking 30mm front and rear. Would that be right?

For the rear ARB can you recommend any particular makes? What sort of prices should I expect? Some seem quite pricey at over £300. Should add a front ARB too?

As for the 'super pro caster bushes for the front lower arms'

Is this right?

Audi A3 8L (97-02) Front Arm, Rear Bush Kit Caster Increase - SuperPro Poly | eBay

Sorry for all the questions.

I got Joms, theya re good for the money.

Drop-wise, id advise 40mm max otherwise your standard from anti roll bar will start scrubbing on your drive shaft on full lock. If you plan to slam the car then get a front an rear roll bar kit. Eibach are a good kit. yeah they are expensive to buy.

Personally, I woudlnt bother with the rear roll bar(with your engine), just fully polybush the chassis.