Upgraded door speakers? What to go for on a budget?

OhSoFresh

Reaction score
Anyone upgraded? got any good makes that are pretty cheap? I've seen some JVC on ebay for 27 quid that come with spacers

also my rear speakers dont seem to be working are they easy to replace?

Thanks guys!

JBL .

760C.jpg

Reactions: AlexA4Avant
You may not actually have any rear speakers. If you have a lowly SE or Sport model they do not automatically come with rears even though the grills are there.

Also interested in this. Got non-Bose. I do have rears (amplified) and a sub. Wanna replace all speakers, especially the sub! I suspect it's not very big, max 8"?

Yes an S3 would have rear speakers amplified by the subwoofer amp. I think it's smaller than an 8'' . Imo I would stay away from any speaker that retails less than 100. If you watch eBay few good used speaker pop up. I have wait for it... 5 sets :wink: of speaker that I installed, and a sub running of a bit 10 real nice midrange punch, load as hell. Lol not something u would want to do to an S3 though.

Wait, do you actually have components screwed into the dash? That's crazy!

Reactions: Samy boi
Would suggest whatever components you do decide to get, buy a 4 channel amplifier and get them amped and not run off the headunit. Bit of a time consuming DIY, but it is definitely worth it!

I got the following in mine and could not fault it one bit!
Aftermarket Headunit (SPH-DA120)
Sundown sa-6.5cs components Front and Rear, their rrp £200, but theres a guy on facebook whose an american audio importer and got an offer right now for £119.99 for a pair including crossovers.
Pioneer 4 channel amp from caraudiosecurity for £149.99

Ive heard even FLI Components (Which are one of the cheapest brands) that were amp'd and even those sound good.

sorry, cant take audio advice seriously from someone with speakers randomly slammed into the dash :tearsofjoy:

i'd be planning on replacing all standard speakers (so tweeters + mids, plus the sub). Don't mind amplifying the door speakers if need be. defo wouldn't buy cheap speakers - expecting to pay at least £400 for the lot...

any recommendations on a sub replacement? ideally a straight swap as i don't want a big box in the boot! and hopefully one that'll run off the standard amp if possible

sorry, cant take audio advice seriously from someone with speakers randomly slammed into the dash :tearsofjoy:

i'd be planning on replacing all standard speakers (so tweeters + mids, plus the sub). Don't mind amplifying the door speakers if need be. defo wouldn't buy cheap speakers - expecting to pay at least £400 for the lot...

any recommendations on a sub replacement? ideally a straight swap as i don't want a big box in the boot! and hopefully one that'll run off the standard amp if possible
Your current sub is 6.5", you can replace it with an 8" in the side with a stealth box but the standard amp will not run it. You'll need a 5 channel amp that runs all speakers + sub.

Two each in the front doors, haha fair enough it does sound good though. If you are keeping the standard HU you'd need a processor of some description like a Audison Bit 10 imo :whip:.

Your current sub is 6.5", you can replace it with an 8" in the side with a stealth box but the standard amp will not run it. You'll need a 5 channel amp that runs all speakers + sub.

cheers. 6.5" is a bit small (so i keep getting told!! lol), would be happy with a high quality 8" - any recommendations oon where to get the stealth box from? I assume the floor still lifts up without fouling for when access to the spare is needed?
will probably use 2 amps, 1 for sub and 1 for the components - not running a standard head unit but if I'm using top speakers i may as well power them properly, and add an EQ if the amp doesn't do it itself.

Reactions: lincoln_dj
I would of stuck one on the steering wheel center , fires straight towards the ears , perfect .

you know anyone with experience of them? york is only 90 mins away for me
I have personal experience with them, they built me a box custom measurements and sent it to me, I built the rest and they were great and fast.
Going to them would be a lot better. Great team.

Reactions: lincoln_dj
On facebook theres a page called "Budget Boomers" they have forum and classifieds page. post up what your after on the forum and they would definetly be able to recommend someone. Have heard good reviews with Visual ICE, but when I spoke to them about a year ago in regards to a custom box being made for subwoofers, they said their really busy and could be upto a month wait.

Some of them make some good enclosures and are based from home with good prices as well

cheers i'll check it out. tbh i'm more than happy waiting a month or 2 - usually a good sign it'll be worth the wait

Reactions: FaisalFazeli