1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade of A3 Symphony system.

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by sharma, Mar 27, 2007.

1. sharma

sharma Member

[Mar 27, 2007]
    Hi,

I have a 1.9tdi sport Audi A3 (52 Plate - 2002 model). There is a symphony head unit installed in the car (double din)
    with tape and cd. I want to keep the existing system for a number of reasons. One being the fact that I have controls on the steering. I have an amplifier, subwoofer and speakers which I want to put into the car however it seems to be a difficult job. I have been told I cannot simply use the existing speaker wires and convert them to RCA (phono leads) as they are amplified. (Not sure why they can’t do this). So I went to an audio shop as they said they could use the front speaker wires however they had a look and are now saying the front speakers are also amplified. They have said my only option is to get a new system or I might be able to get a set of converter leads which allow me to convert the leads into RCA connections.

Please help as the standard system is not producing the sound I want. There must be a way to do this. I have heard AndyMac knows a lot and might be able to provide me with the leads required? There is also a small sub in the left rear compartment but this does not do much.

Thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 1, 2014]

3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 27, 2007]
    Just unplug the sub and all the connections you need are on that connector -left & right pre-outs (RCA's) remote on, and rear speaker connections.
    You'll need a 4ch amp (2ch's bridged for the sub and the other 2 for the rear speakers).
    You will need to run power from the battery for the new amp.
    Pin outs of the sub connector (non Bose) is as follows:
    [​IMG]
    I just take an RCA lead cut one end off, strip back the wires and solder on very small spade terminals, then do the same for a pair of short speaker cables ad the remote on. These are then plugged into the Audi connector and taped down so they can't move around.
  4. sharma

sharma Member

[Mar 27, 2007]
    That sounds very easy to do. Why is it that none of the car audio stores know about this? Everyone i ask says you have to change the head unit. I dont understand why.

Thanks a lot for the advice though. So this has worked on a number of the cars you have tried it on then?
  5. sharma

sharma Member

[Mar 27, 2007]
    I dont have a 4 channel amp. I have 2 two channel amps which i assume can do the same job.
  6. AndyMac

[Mar 27, 2007]
    Yes of course as long as you don't mind either the rear speakers not working or the sub not connected.
    You need a 4ch amp, that's why I said you need a 4 ch amp.
    You can pick up an Alpine MRV-F400 or F405 on ebay for about £80, totally solid and more than capable.
  7. timps

timps Shakersville

[Mar 27, 2007]
    Andy he says he has 2 (in number) two channel amps which is the same number of channels as one four channel amp, one amp for the sub (as long as it can be bridged) & one amp for the speakers.

So it will do the same job, only problem is extra space needed.
  8. AndyMac

[Mar 27, 2007]
    Ahhh yes sorry missed that. Yes absolutely. You can mount one either side behind the rear speaker panels, there's loads of room.
  9. sharma

sharma Member

[Mar 30, 2007]
    Hi,

I have managed to locate a lead which i have been told will allow mt to have 2 amp pre outs from my Symphony head unit. AndyMac has told me i have the option of wiring amplfiers from the subwoofer connection, however this seems like another option to me. The lead can be seen at:

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/preamp.asp
    http://www.prestigeaudiodirect.co.uk/becker-preout-lead-p-357.html

Will this enable me to add an amplifier? Which lead is the better option? I have not taken out my head unit so am not sure about connections at the back. If someone could let me know i would be greatful.

Thanks.