Upgrade my Audi Concert with knackered volume

mephisto

Reaction score
I got an Audi s3 2000 with the Bose Audi Concert head unit with knackered volume control.
I wouldn't mind adding iPOd compatability so i suppose the Dension is a good choice? Anyone got any reviews on this?
Also what's a cheap upgrade for my head unit apart from another Concert, how about the head unit in the 8l facelift? Any other options for the pre facelift 8L? Bar going for an after market replacement.

TIA.

I'd go aftermarket if you can, all Concerts suffer the same problem eventually, so an ebay replacement will fail again given enough time (and enough volume/bass/treble adjustments).
If you go Blaupunkt then the unit is a straight plug & play, they use the same bizarre pre-out connector for the Bose amp and you can then get a DAB head unit with MP3 CD and MMC support. I went with the Woodstock DAB54 and the control of the sound is far superior.
DABfront.jpg

Thanks Andy that's great, im off shopping now!!! cheers.

Meph - definately, definately if you are considering an aftermarket unit, buy a Becker Grand Prix with Ipod

The beckers are a standard looking unit and honestly look boring - I have owned top end Alpines ever since I have been driving and was told to try the becker - it is by far THE best unit i have owned!

Pro's:

1. Looks Standard and OEM
2. Excellent sound quality
3. Easiest Ipod control ever
4. Cheaper than all other aftermarket units I considered
5. Bluetooth Phone kit is very good and extremely clean!

Neg's:

None bar the fact that the name of the incoming caller doesnt come up!

Interior photo of my car with Becker!
17395979a4641611233l.jpg

You should be able to get a Becker GP with Ipod for £330 (£400+rrp)

Yes Becker would be my other choice too (if you don't need DAB).
They also use the same wiring although you have to reroute the remote on IIRC.
Very stock looking as well:
mexico-pro-7932.jpg

Becker Mexico is the basic unit
Grand Prix has the telephone unit
Indionapolis has the sat nav and the telephone i think

of the two mentioned i would go for the becker
its sonically superior to the blaupunkt
and also looks understated
the only other make which may sit welland look the part in the audi is a nakamichi
looks wise they are not to everyones taste but performance wise
they are more than a match for just about anything on the market
they do not have an dedicated ipod input though just an auxillary in

Oh ****! Thanks for confusing matters ;) I was almost set on this

ida-x001.jpg

Apline iDA-X001

Thing is, i dont listen to radiom much as i can't stand most commercial radio crap, DAB is something id consider if i knew more dance music stations existed on there (which i don't think they do in Dorset area!) and so i have my ipod (or purchase an usb drive) for all my music. This head unit is apparently by far the best interface for ipods. BUT you're right it does stand out and advertise to any would be car thief this unit comes free with bonus ipod!
That Becker thing is 100 quid more and looks like something my grandad(bless him) would of chosen! Although if it sounds that good, and how good is ipod support?? Is it easy to navigate and find music on the go? Is the interface similar to the ipod? Im intrigued as the display looks narrow.

DAB is good mate....... galaxy fm out of Birmingham is worth getting DAB for alone as it kicks **** compared to anything commercial out of London. Theres a few other good dance stations on DAB but also a load of crap you won't ever listen to but to be expected.

I know feck all about cars but when it comes to music I'd like to think I know what I'm talking about after being in the music industry since 1990. You won't regret it if you get DAB.

I'm selling up my JVC dvd/dab system as I'm doing a double din conversion adding the audi RNS-E in dash sat nav to my car. I done a lot of trial and error when selecting this system for my audi and for my needs it was the best.
I want £165 + postage for the head unit and if you want the seperate DAB unit and roof mount aerial (still works fine inside car) and all connecting leads I can do the whole lot for £250 inc postage. There is ipod compatability with the JVC but personally I don't think there is any need as you have 4gb of mp3, movies and jpegs stored on a single dvd disc. With this set up leave the ipod at home so it doesn't get lost or stolen and also there is no wires or docking so a nice flush dash

I personally never used it as a dvd player but obviously if you want to watch movies the option is there..... I just used it for huge mp3 compatability and it was great

Take a look at the link below, if you're interested PM me. Obviously the sale on the link didn't materialise as yet another ebay no contact, non paying ****! Why I bother with ebay sometimes I do not know.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=230143035518&ssPageName=STRK:MESO:IT&ih=013

If you want something a little less bling then I'd def go with the Becker