Upgrade MMI drive?

Macster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 10GB hard drive in my MMI, and wondered if I can upgrade it to an SSD or larger drive, (capacity not physical!), if so, how would I go about it?

Thanks in advance

I have been asking this question on and off for a while, would be nice, I have 40Gb and would like to upgrade.

Lets hope sombody knows as dealers are not interested in the conversation.

Reactions: Macster
Thanks Slackworth,

I did see that but thought it'd be a straight swap out. Relatively simple to change the drive, but of course all the MMI info needs to be put back on, shame you can't just load a CD/DVD to repopulate the new drive; its a bit too fiddly for my liking!

I personally wouldn't do it either. Too easy to break something both hardware and software and the 5F units are lots of £££ even from fleabay.

Easier just to chuck 2x SD cards in the front for an extra 64GB of space. Lot less time and money involved. From what I read the SSD isn't that much quicker compared to the original HDD.

Reactions: Macster
I personally wouldn't do it either. Too easy to break something both hardware and software and the 5F units are lots of £££ even from fleabay.

Easier just to chuck 2x SD cards in the front for an extra 64GB of space. Lot less time and money involved. From what I read the SSD isn't that much quicker compared to the original HDD.

@Slackworth when you say the SSD are not that much quicker than HDD, I presume you mean in this system as outside of this there is a huge performance increase to be had when swapping HDD's for SSD's. If this is the case the bottle neck will either memory or CPU of the Audi system which are def not upgradable.

Correct...I use SSD myself and the speed increase is awesome. The Audi system was ultimately designed to run on low speed automotive drives so didn't need to have a particularly good spec elsewhere.

I think I'll stick to the 2 x 32gb cards, much less hassle!

You'd think with the tech available nowadays, Audi would install a 250GB SSD in as standard, poor way of cost cutting on a £30k + car, likewise with having read dvd screens built in, they'd get it all so cheap and would just be another selling point.

Thanks for the advice & replies

Baz

No probs! Although there was some considerable changes between the 3G and 3G+ systems, in reality I don't think the processing power was increased all that drastically - more about other features being added such as Connect and Google. It's only the very latest systems where we are starting to see them advance significantly. The B9 MMI system (if it ends up being called that) looks an awesome bit of kit - even if the rest of the car doesn't look great!!

Don't forget as well SSD was hugely more expensive when the 3G systems were built and only somewhat cheaper when 3G+ arrived. Today we are seeing 60GB SSD for £40ish but the cost to Audi to redevelop the units and get the performance benefit of an outgoing model wouldn't make any sense.