Upgrade headlight bulbs?

karbonk

Living a little!
Reaction score
Im used to xenons and halogen really doesn't compete!

A3 TDI 2004 - Is there a much better bulb that can replace the OEM headlight bulb for a much brighter clearer light? I know of the blue crap that halfrauds sell, dont wanna go down that route but thought some my have a tried and tested a few??

Yes there are. In a recent test in Auto Express Philips Vision Plus came out best in the Plus 50 section and Philips X-treme Power came out best in the 50 Plus section both gaining a 5 star overall rating and beam ratings of 154 and 172 respectively.

A number of members have also used the Osram Night Breaker bulbs and these were given a 4 star overall rating and a beam rating of 142.

Personally I used the Philips Vision Plus bulbs in previous A3s before I had OEM Xenons and they were a big improvement over the standard bulbs.

Yes there are. In a recent test in Auto Express Philips Vision Plus came out best in the Plus 50 section and Philips X-treme Power came out best in the 50 Plus section both gaining a 5 star overall rating and beam ratings of 154 and 172 respectively.

A number of members have also used the Osram Night Breaker bulbs and these were given a 4 star overall rating and a beam rating of 142.

Personally I used the Philips Vision Plus bulbs in previous A3s before I had OEM Xenons and they were a big improvement over the standard bulbs.

Cheers Dave. I may invest in a set as the previous owner replaced with a set of RING ice blue 55w H7. Not the best, but then how much better can you get from a halogen without retrofitting HID or Xenons.

I've got Osram nightbreakers, they look nicer and better vision, by how much? no idea to be honest, i'm happy!

I fitted the Philips X-treme Bulbs. TBH not that impressed with them. They didnt seem any brighter that the ones I took out that were RING ice blue bulbs put in by the prv. owner.

Perhaps coming from a prev S3 & my other car with Bi-xenons im being spoilt!

I noticed these are only 55w. Are there any recommended more powerful bulbs e.g 10/80w?

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I've got the Osram Night Breakers - much better but a total pig to fit to an 09 A3!

They don't make changing them very easy..