Upgrade Coming Up But Which Phone???

emzino

Reaction score
Currently using a SE K800i on T-Mobile but I have an upgrade in Feb. Just need some advice which to go for...

It's been narrowed down to the following:

1) HTC TyTn II ~ 3mp ' WinMobile6 Pro
2) Nokia N82 ~ 5mp ' Symbian S60
3) SE K850i ~ 5mp ' same good features as N82
4) SE W960i ~ 3.2mp ' walkman s/w ' touchscreen

Now I LOVE taking pictures & videos so the 5mp cameras get an upper hand at that but the SEK850i s/w is running slow right now and i've always wanted a touch screen interface so that's where the 1 & 4 come in but I love the multifunctionality of the W960i.
I want a nice crisp screen too to watch films on.

Just not sure which to go for & which will last me the longest. To be honest.

Anyone had any "hands on experience" of any of the 4 above?

I've only second-hand experience of the HTC TyTn II as my boss has got one, but I've got two TyTns (T-Mobile MDA Vario II); one of which has WM6 installed (I've used a few different versions too).

First things first, as a gadget it's great, and depending on your needs can be damn useful. Having said that though, if you're going to use this as your primary phone which you will use quite a lot, it might not be the best choice. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be without my TyTns - but I DO NOT use either of them as my 'phone'... I use my phone quite a lot (I get through 3000-4000 minutes a month, and while a lot of people will use more texts than me, I still get through a few per day) - and because of that I like them to be quick responding and easy to use. My last few phones have been Sony Ericsson and to be honest I can't fault them. The OS/UI is always well thought out, they're responsive (you can fly through menus, phonebook, writing text messages etc.), hard-wearing and just no-nonsense bits of kit. The same can't be said for the TyTn though - as a phone/SMS/MMS device it's a lot more clunky. It can be slow to find contacts, dialling numbers is painful as you'll tap the digit on the screen and after what seems like an eternity it'll be added to the number you dial, and messaging can be a little slow/fiddly too. Things have gotten a little quicker with the TyTn II thanks to its slightly different hardware setup, but there's still not a massive difference between the devices on the whole. You can for example, flash a TyTn with a firmware freely available on the web which will give it pretty much all of the TyTn II features - including the pretty homescreen and TouchFlow. The only real differences after that are the camera resolution, the built-in GPS (and for the record the TyTn (mk1) has this chip on-board too, it's just that it's invisible to the OS and the antenna pins are shorted together), and the pop-up screen.

I'm not trying to paint a terrible picture here, as I've said - I couldn't be without my TyTns - but I only use them for a) mobile web-browsing, b) as a modem for my laptop, c) mobile email (push email - similar to Blackberry) and d) to some degree as an organiser. For those uses it's a really great piece of kit, but if you're quite demanding in terms of the performance of a phone when it's being a phone - in my opinion it falls a bit short.

I don't know what your 'phone' needs are, but in terms of pictures and video the TyTn is average - even the new camera on the TyTn II isn't as hot as others of similar spec. It's pretty good for watching videos on though - you can throw VLC Media Player at it and it'll play almost anything. It will chew the battery though if you have the screen brightness at a high-ish level.

Out of the others you've listed I'd say the K850i is a good choice - the difference between it and the W960i in terms of music support aren't massive in real day-to-day terms. I guess it'd still do all the music stuff you could want, just doesn't have quite so many of the 'trick' features. The camera on it is pretty damn awesome though. It delievers pretty crisp pictures, and considering it's still a phone at heart, has a lot of control for the camera - right down to ISO sensitivity. The OS/UI is good as is to be expected of SE, and it'll handle phonebook/call/messaging stuff as fast as you can throw it at it.

I've not played with them too much myself yet, and given their previous models I'd want to examine the UI fully before making my mind up, but I'm hearing good things about the LG Viewty... Considered that too?

Regards,

Rob.

Hmm I see. Well having the TyTn II would only be because of the Windows platform it uses because I would love to have that plus the touchscreen features but i'm more into quick texting frequently and easy navigation. I'm sure the TyTn II isn't a bore but probably a little bit more tideous to do such things.

I've never looked back to goto Nokias ever since I got my W800i & I don't think I will either although the N82 is a brilliant all-rounder.

It's going to be either the K850i or W960i... damnit I just wish the W960i had a better camera =(
I need to see both of them in action to know which i'll go for. If the K850i is MUCH better in terms of camera (and maybe other things) i'll go for it... otherwise it's the W960i...

I wonder if theres a shop where I can have a look at both.

My cousin has the Viewty and to be honest it's horrid, wouldn't go near it heh.

Many many thanks though Rob, really appreciate your time & input =)

I have the K850i, chose it primarily for the 5meg camera. Picture quality is excellent wether being viewed on the PC or printed out. Music player is pretty good as is movie playback and picture viewer.

Doesnt integrate fully with Audi BT phone kit, but I guess you cant have everything

Issac Hunt said:
I have the K850i, chose it primarily for the 5meg camera. Picture quality is excellent wether being viewed on the PC or printed out. Music player is pretty good as is movie playback and picture viewer.

Doesnt integrate fully with Audi BT phone kit, but I guess you cant have everything

How would you say the software runs... is it pretty smooth or abit choppy?

Seems fine to me, has never crashed or messed up. Sometimes there is a slight delay of a second or two when moving between applications but its nothing major. I dont really use the browser or music player much, chose the phone for the camera - it's excellent!

I'd second the K850i - i've a 4gig memory card in mine which is 3Gb full at the minute, doesnt seem to slow the phone down at all its all pretty smooth.

As said above there can be perhaps a 1-2 second delay on occasion when switching between apps but it really isnt anything major.

I've opera mini installed on mine giving me full web pages which is pretty good too, althought they arent the quickest to load.

Camera is excellent, even video is very clear for a mobile

Well just to give you guys a headsup, there's new Firmware released for the K850i.

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=157121&start=0

It was released on 21/12/07 and has the following improvements:
- SMS/MMS icon changes
- Media Player modifications and speed improvements
- Java benchmarks show significant speed improvements
- Updated Camera driver
- Updated Java engine

Might go for the K850i in the end... if only the W960i had the NEWER UIQ software (why on earth did they use the old one I don't know), a 5mp camera and a 16mil colour screen rather than 262k.

Ah well, I think i'll be happy with it never the less =D

ive got a k850i, nice fone, camera exellent, video also, not too hot on keys bit small, had to send back 3 weeks ago for a software upgrade, messaging facility broke down. sometimes switches itself off. all round though i love it and dont regret getting it. i looked at the nokia but mate has one, eats battery life and slider doesnt last long either. aye get the 850 i................

I got a new Nokia 6500 classic last November. While the camera is only okay, it is great to use and is thin enough to fit in a shirt pocket really easily!

I've been hanging about for a bit waiting to upgrade my W850i but havent liked the styling of any of the new SE phones. The K850i may be an excellent spec but just couldnt live with the keypad, it bugged me after a short play with one in a shop!! I do like the styling of the W960i though so think a shop visit is needed!

im also due to upgrade an looking at the k850i and n95 nokia.

For being 2 of the best, latest phones on the market there sure is a hell of alot wrong with them.

N95 is a bit more expensive and does have a few more features, although i'd prolly not use them. It is shocking on battery life, slider isnt great and it crashes alot.

SE seems ideal, but people say the touch screen is annoying and cant be turned off, so you press buttons with your face. Also the buttons are too small and the xenon flash isnt great either.

hmmm

Looked at the W960i today and decided it was too wide & the buttons too far down the bottom of the phone makes holding it a little tricky if you want a 0! Also the buttons were flat and smooth so increases the chances of mistypes! If only they made it 10mm narrower and had a slide out decent keypad!!

Interesting Nicky. Where did you go to have a look at it? How about the UI, would you say it's better or worse than the K850/N95 8GB?

I used my friends N95 8GB for abit yesterday and it just confirmed how bad I don't like the Symbian OS... Think I need to use it for longer

get the new " jcb " from phones 4u. nice n simple, looks like a toy phone u give the brats to keep them quiet..............

emzino said:
Interesting Nicky. Where did you go to have a look at it? How about the UI, would you say it's better or worse than the K850/N95 8GB?

I used my friends N95 8GB for abit yesterday and it just confirmed how bad I don't like the Symbian OS... Think I need to use it for longer

Just played with a dummy in Carphone Warehouse, not a live model unfortunately s no idea ref UI im afraid. Ruled it out due to size though. Its a "pretty" phone and meets my styling needs, its just too wide and think the buttons would get on my boobies after a while!! Im going to keep waiting for something I like, dont have a problem with the W850i so not so bothered in fairness.

I have the K850i (used to have K800) and find it to be a really good phone although mine has crashed a few times on me and I also found the pictures to be quite dark, as if the flash and camera were out of sync....

However I've just seen that link you posted to new firmware and apparently that is one of the bug's it fixes so I must say thankyou!! If that fixes the camera I'll be very happy with the phone overall!

I think I am going to get the W960. Am due for an upgrade next week.

If O2 are not willing to budge on the price though I will just get the K850.