1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update time

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Broken Byzan, Mar 26, 2008.

1. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

yes mate job well done there i get a loud wine from my box with the single mass flywheel yours might be that??

im swaping my box out soon again as im fitting a fully rebuilt box with a few goodies :)

hows your left leg (in pain ) lol just wait till you need to do hill starts and town driving...... but i love mine lol

2. Siena

Siena Active Member

My 1st gear has always whined, but not really bothered. My 6-speed S4 box (DSY) is going in with the V8.

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

HMMM oil change has made a slight difference,my whine is in all gears and has a slightly different "note" on acceleration and deceleration. So i guess i drive it till i find a replacement or someone to rebuild cheaply whichever comes first

4. Markey

Markey Active Member

Whats the part number of the gearbox ? Just so i can keep an eye out ;)

5. docurley

docurley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Could this be a clutch or fly wheel issue?

6. macca

macca Member

sicne i put my flywheel and clutch back after i did the engine i have a whine in certain gears. i think my allignment or fitting went not quite right somewhere, not sure.

7. Broken Byzan

If it was clutch or flywheel surley it would be engine rev dependent and not speed?

Its an FRK box mark

I was thinking about dropping the box and ripping it apart to see whats gone etc. Anyone done this before? Any special tools needed?

I hope to get her rolling roaded to get some figures on saturday and then drop it out, i have etka so part numbers shouldnt be a problem. I also have Elsawin, but i do not know how in depth that gets for gearboxes

8. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

mine started when i did my fly and clutch but i did use a recond **** box off ebay so when my other box is ready from the builders i will let you know what it is.

i think its one of the bearings

9. Broken Byzan

Thanks craig, any idea of cost of build?

10. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

well its a gearbox center in stockport who is doing mine for a cash job but i would say your looking around 300 to 500

11. Broken Byzan

thats what i need someone to do me a cash job on it, apparently its the pinion bearing thats gone, its common aparently.

12. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

Yeah thts the one i forgot the name im not as clued up on boxes as i am engines. im getting a full rebuild for 250 cash

13. Broken Byzan

Any chance he could squeeze another in at that price ?

14. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

prob not mate as he didnt want to do it me at that i just begged him lol

15. Broken Byzan

DARN !! i Shame, must be someone out there capable of doing it for a good drink plus parts

16. Siena

Siena Active Member

I have replaced the pinion bearings in the past, but on 012 boxes. Not particularly hard, but compared to engines, I'd rather build 4 V6's than 1 gearbox.

17. billybravo

billybravo MODERATOR

yup your not wrong matey ive also have the gears re-done.

18. Broken Byzan

Small update, its not getting any louder but i managed to find a replacement
    ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280215695371) He he he

so aim to swap it out this week and hope to be noise free then its just MOT to deal with, the first one since the 1.8t went in, i just have to sort a CAT out for my stainless exhaust for as little as possible. I have the OEM one but it wont fit as my Stainless is turbo back, grrrrrrr.

So anyone thats handy with a gearbox rebuild, i will have a noisy 6 speed for sale shortly !!!

19. Siena

Siena Active Member

How much would you want for the noisy 6-speeder?

20. Siena

Siena Active Member

Blimey! That ebay box WAS a bargain!! :applaus:

21. Broken Byzan

It cost me £120 witht the fuel to collect the replacement, so i guess i would want something around that, i may just sling it on Ebay and hope for the best ( GULP)

22. Broken Byzan

Its my gain he mis spelt gearbox, I found it with under 2 hours to go by "accident" almost. And its the same model i already have so its a bolt in job, just hate havint to do it on my back and those stupid bolts that hide behind the subframe are a pain in the arse

23. Siena

Siena Active Member

You should get that back for it.

24. Markey

Markey Active Member

Nice one thats an awesome price considering the problems you had with the other one its good that something that has gone right for you.

25. Broken Byzan

I just hope i can sell the noisy one for enough to MOT the car now lol

On a good point its not got any louder at all, so it could go on forever, but if someone was willing to strip it and change the bearing they could get a bargain i recon

26. docurley

docurley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Nice bye don't yo just love it when you get deals like this.

27. Broken Byzan

Its in ( again) and what a bargain, no noise at all, smooth changes, Great Just need an MOT now. More money lol

Need to sort out the rear brakes and hoses, add a CAT and a pair of tyres due to scrubbing the inner edge of a set of otherwise good 18's. ( i kept meaning to get the tracking done,now i have to)

I can list the parts needed for the swap if anyone is interested

28. audivro

audivro Member

well done mate,seems a lot of hard work has paid dividends,i am interested in doing the same so if you could post up the parts it would be brilliant!

29. Markey

Markey Active Member

Yes please im very interested in this :) good to hear its all ok. Ill give you a call when i do mine yeah !!!!!! ;)

30. dappadan786

dappadan786 Member

sorry to dig up an old thread!

good to hear you finally got it sorted! :applaus: well done mate the car is something else.

last time i heard you where just thinking about it, good to hear you pulled it off!

can you post the list of parts needed please? and what type of 6 speed tranny you need if it needs to be a specific one?

im definetely going to do this once i save some cash and get the time.

cheers

31. Broken Byzan

Hi, its no problem drenching up an old thread as its probably better than opening a new one in this climate etc.

I had a box denoted FRK from a passat 2wd diesel from 2001 to 2003 model although i am sure later ones will fit.

I used v6 tdi driveshafts and hub carriers to allow a way to get the 130mm inner joints on the gearbox to couple to the drive flanges.

The slave cylinder fitted straight in with no probs as did the VSS, the reverse switch needed to be modded to connect to the car.

The gear selector / lever assembly is a direct swap for a unit sourced from a 6 speed 2003 passat.
    There is a way to use your own driveshafts but this involves getting your hands on a very specific set of gearbox flanges form a 1990s audi 80/90 from an 016 designated box iirc

I do not have all the part numbers to hand at the mo, but could confirm anything you need to know.
    How is the car going? Had her on a RR yet?

32. dappadan786

dappadan786 Member

Hi Mark, thanks for that im definetly going to give this a bash always wanted a 6 speed on my A4. i saw the video you posted on youtube whats your 0-60?

mines? nah not yet shes not running right at mo its misfiring under boost and i think it might still have a boost leak somewhere. ive not really had time to get it all sorted, replaced the crankcase breather pipes the S pipe and the Tpipe but that about it.

im off work for next 3 days im stripping her down! front off, intake mani out, rocker off, remove stock exhaust mani fit the ATP one and look for vac & boost leaks and new gaskets all round, maybe an induction kit.

33. Broken Byzan

not sure what the 0 to 60 is tbh around 6 secs ish ?? I have a boost leak tester you can borrow if you want, its a nice device with a guage and valve etc

What plugs and gap you got???

34. jcb

jcb Active Member
    VCDS Map User

can you not swap the outer Cv joint onto the shafts and that way keep your original upraights? I am swapping the outers as per Doc's suggestions to keep my shafts and inner and fit RS4 outer CV and upright to bolt on the RS4 brakes.

thought you may be able to do the opposite.

your single mass flywheel may whine like a bich depedning on the application. 4WD seems to make it worse for some reason.....

35. Mazza

Mazza MOnkEy

well done Byzan.....very interesting thread....you have some very large balls i think!!!!!!!!oh and how much is in the swear box????that should pay for the M.O.T....
    god it must feel good now!!!!!!!!

36. ALPINE

ALPINE Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

mark i think your a legend!! wish i had your bravery mate. keep up the good work me old son!! cant wait for my next visit down your ends!!

37. Broken Byzan

The CVs wont interchange, trust me i tried,lol I could have had custom shafts made for just under £200 each or swap the carriers to V6 for 150 for the lot, its a no brainer i know what bits i need if anything breaks or wears out. The LWFW does chatter a bit, but its not annoyingly loud. Tho to do it again i dont think i would use the 6 puck unit i would get an organic full clutch disc for drivability.

You would never believe she started life a a 1998 1.8 SE,lol I just believe in upgrading as things break/wear etc ( tho the engine swap was just in the quest of more power, i now have around 120 bhp more than mine left the factory with
    G you text me when you around mate, i will get the kettle on,lol

38. dappadan786

dappadan786 Member

yeh..might take you up on that offer i just borrowed my mates home made boost leak tester. im just waiting to get my hands on a compressor, hes made it from a food can and put in a tyre air valve or something? not as good as yours.

ill see how i get on. thanks mate.

p.s. using DENSO iridium IK22 the colder plugs as recomended by my tuner.

39. Broken Byzan

40. Broken Byzan

FMIC, Intake pipe, stainless exhaust manifold, 312mm discs with carriers and predator pads

I am gonna be so busy once the A3 is finished. Any tips??
    [​IMG]