Update on oil light on Audi A3.

Sue Duck

Reaction score
I have previously posted about the oil light on my Audi A3. dlakster came and did a vag-com on my car. It showed up no faults. Any suggestions from anyone. Getting desperate now.

Possible short on the lead or dirty contacts to bring the light on if the oil level is fine?
(Just guessing tho)

The oil pressure light was only coming on past 2000rpm, so does anyone know if that rules out a sensor related problem?

HI,I HAD EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 1999 A3 1.8T.THE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT CAME ON ABOVE 2000RPM AND WENT OUT AT TICKOVER.I CURED IT BY RUNNING THE CAR AT TICKOVER WITH A BOTTLE OF FORTE ENGINE FLUSH IN IT FOR 45 MINS THEN CHANGING THE OIL AND FILTER.THESE ENGINES ARE BAD FOR BLACK SLUDGE IF OIL IS NOT CHANGED REGULARLY.

The oil pressure light was only coming on past 2000rpm, so does anyone know if that rules out a sensor related problem?

Not sure where I read that, but I think there are 2 sensors. One is at the bottom and the one that controls the oil pressure if it falls below a certain pressure. and then the other one controls above a certain pressure.

I'll look for the link and post it (not sure how much help it will be though)

Hi John, thanks for your input on this and it may well be a dirty oil level sensor at hand.

In the future, please don't use CAPS lock as it is difficult to read and is normally interpreted as SHOUTING. Cheers