1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update on my Turbo

Lemon S3 Apr 28, 2010

1. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

Finally got the right tool to remove the head bolts and got the head off today to remove the turbo.
    Once the head was off, started removing bits attached to the turbo n found this in the intake pipe

[​IMG]

First thought was that a bolt somehow got in the intake which then got sucked into the turbo n screwed it up but then realised it was the shaft.

Then noticed the intake side of the turbo was cracked

[​IMG]

This is what the inside looks like or lack of it

[​IMG]

I don't know whether it cracked which distorted everything so the turbine went everywhere or it cracked under pressure from the turbine...going everywhere.

Now need to find out whether either cr turbos or TDs will still take it as an exchange to hybrid or whether I'll need to purchase a new hybrid from them.

2. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

bloody hell nasty :faint:

3. paulypaul

paulypaul S3 all the way Baby

Cr should take it,just had mine done they replaced the exhaust hosing because it was cracked it did cost a little bit more but what a job they did.

4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Epic fail doode... not seen one like that before...

<tuffty/>

5. finesse

finesse Active Member

that's f"@>ked up

6. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

Thats well and truely had it, doubt they'll take that mate, but worth a try.

7. ALPINE

ALPINE Yes its diesel, now cry u lost

fork mine!! not good. hope you get it sorted.

8. SteveBAM

SteveBAM Black '03 S3

that is one hell of a fail mate:faint:.
    was there any other damage?

9. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

I think i would be taking the zorst off and shaking it upside down like a mad man..:jump:

10. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

Somehow nothing got through to the engine, didnt even get all the way out the charge pipe so I doubt there will be anything in the exhaust. The exhaust turbine was still almost perfect, hardly any play n it spun nicely too.

Also forgot to add my exhaust manifold is cracked as well

[​IMG]

11. Gops

Gops Badger 5 Edition VCDS Map User Gold Supporter Audi S3

Blimey, i missed this! What happened mate? Hope you get it sorted!

P.s I've added you on ps3 Network :)

12. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

I'm not really sure, one minute I had boost the next I didn't n above is the reason lol. Ah well...its a good excuse to go hybrid, missus thinks I'm just replacing everything with stock. Little does she know mwahahahahahaahahahahaha....ahem...sorry about that :whistle2::ninja:

Oh and just installing a demo on the ps3 atm which seems to be taking it's sweet ass time about doing so.

13. finesse

finesse Active Member

You seem to be very calm, most people would be f'ing and blinding

14. Chlippo

Chlippo Member

turbo looks like hit with a weapon of mass destruction man! never seen one in that shape!

15. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

IIRC you found bits of metal in the charge pipe? Is there anything obvious that made it to the cylinders? I think I would have all that apart and clean it out tbh... :(

Bad luck mate...

<tuffty/>

16. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

i cant see the pics, but i take it your compressor is in bits?

if so id be looking for those bits in the intercooler... really dont want those making their way to the lump

17. Welly

Welly VX220 SC Driver :)

^^ Agree with both above.

18. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

Yeh there was some in the charge pipe but it all sat in the part where the baffles used to be. There was nothing in the cylinders or on the vavles, not even the smallest pieces.

I will be getting a fmic and upgrading all the hoses so everything will be turbo free if anything got further.

19. Lemon S3

Lemon S3 Alex

Right...I phoned both TurboDynamics and CR turbos, both were busy when I phoned n TD were the first to call back (well CR didnt call back) so TD are coming to collect it tomorrow to see what they can do. I can get about 25% discount with them too which is good.

20. Matt82

Matt82 Active Member

seen the pics now

wow

21. AudiS3-Turbo

AudiS3-Turbo Member

Ouch! thats got to hurt in the wallet! :ohmy: