1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

unusual vibration in S3?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by gareth_oau, Mar 4, 2011.

1. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Member

[Mar 4, 2011]
    my car has developed an odd, very intermittent vibration.

Happens about once or twice a week, typically when I pull in to a stop and turn off the engine.

I feel and hear this obvious vibration through the clutch pedal, but it continues after I've taken out the ignition key and even without my foot on the clutch.

Typically it will last around 10 seconds or so.

It has rarely done it whilst I've pulled up to stop at say traffic lights, but not turned off the engine.

Yesterday, as i pulled up the driveway, my son was there, and the vibration continued for around 30 seconds and he said he could hear and feel it through the radiator grill.

any thoughts?

(its booked in for an investigation!)
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 25, 2014]

3. s3dave

s3dave TFSI Hybrid Supporter

[Mar 4, 2011]
    It could be the after run electric water pump,
  4. chris99

chris99 s3 driver

[Mar 6, 2011]
    don't think it's the water pump dave... vibrating through the clutch pedal??
    it's normal to hear the sound from the water pump cooling the turbo and lasting longer than 30 seconds, but only when you turn off the engine and no vibrations
  5. sportstractor

sportstractor Chugger

[Mar 6, 2011]
    maybe its jammed and is humming, i cant see what else it could be. The pump is the only thing that should comtinue once ignition is off. If you cant hear it pump properly you can hit it to clear any corrosion of the contacts