UNSTEADY A4

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
A4 TDI 2001 (B6) standard suspension,4 wheel alignment done,when driving at ...say 80 mph -ish, on a slight bend on the motorway car seems as if the back end is 'snaking' or going that way,if ya no what i mean,not very stable. 1 rear coil spring broke,replaced with a 2nd hand one from the breakers of same model A4 but 2003 reg,then had camber and alignment done,only replaced 1 spring as the other one was already taken off the salvage car,car sits level although after a very close inspection found that the spring that has been replaced sits half inch higher than the other side,but you cant visualy see this,i had to measure it! after fitment had camber and 4 wheel alignment done,and also replaced new anti-rollbar bushes (rear) I was also told by the mechanic the rear tyre (1 of them) is slightly out of shape as the toe in(alignment was out) what could be the reason the car feels unsteady at high speed around small bends?

standard,front wheel drive.
could it be the tyre? or something else?

The different spring heights suggest different spring rates on each side so the springs and dampers on one side will not be tuned correctly compared to the other side this means that each side will react differently to a bump. Also wouldn't this mean you have effectively lowered the suspension on one side at the rear compared to the other side so i'm sure this will affect the suspension, the guys who have lowered their cars will know alot more about what this can affect than me. But the springs would be a good pace to start in my opinion