1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unstable/floaty rear end + knock

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Chriscooke, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Chriscooke

Chriscooke Clueless!

My car has become unstable at the rear while cornering. I've checked the springs etc but could see nothing untoward. The car has developed a knock from the rear also which appeared at the same time. The back end actually stepped out off throttle the other day which was fun yet concerning..

What bushes etc could be at fault? Suspension top mounts perhaps?
  2. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

On these cars its likely that all of them will need doing along with roll bar bushes and drop liks and also the rear control links the knocking could be the middle box hittng the n/s/r lower arm !!
  3. Chriscooke

Chriscooke Clueless!

It does sound like an exhaust nock but I've tried to replicate it with the car on the ground and on ramps with no success :(
  4. Bradderz_1988

Bradderz_1988 Dont replace it, Upgrade it !!

Push the exhaust tailpipes towards the n/s of the car you may get it to knock if it only does it round right hand corners then this will 99% be your problem.
  5. Chriscooke

Chriscooke Clueless!

It'll only do it over bumps tbh. When I corner hard there is strange noise as well but I can't really describe it. I'm guessing I should check the wheel bearing also?

Will try pushing the exhaust towards the nearside to see if I can make it touch. The exhaust seemed in better condition than I expected when I had a look under the car the other day.