1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexpected RNS-E message - "police announcement"

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by gordongecko, Jan 11, 2011.

1. gordongecko

gordongecko Member

[Jan 11, 2011]
    Every now and then when playing mp3s from an SD card in my '08 S3 the music will stop and a black screen will come up on the satnav screen "Info. Important Message. Alarm!". This is accompanied with a message on the DIS saying something like "758 Test" (I forget the actual number). Nothing else happens but if I press the CD/DVD key the music starts playing again and that's it. Overall nothing to worry about really

Well today I was driving along and the music stopped again, only this time the DIS said "949 Test". I thought I hadn't seen this before so I didn't do anything. A few secs later a "ding dong" sound came from the speakers followed by a voice saying "Police announcement, caution, hazard ahead, slow down" on repeat.

Sure enough a bit further down the traffic had stopped and I saw the blue lights of a police car flashing. The traffic was stopped for a minute or 2 and then the police car sped off and we got going again.

I am a bit dumbfounded to be honest! Has this happened to anyone else? I have pics I took with my camera phone while stopped if anyone is interested. I am guessing it came through as an RDS update??
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 27, 2014]

3. JohnS3

JohnS3 Active Member

[Jan 11, 2011]
    It's a TMC message. In other countries (Holland for one) these messages are used to warn drivers of speed traps.
    What country are you in?
  4. gordongecko

gordongecko Member

[Jan 11, 2011]
    UK. Never had it before and I've been driving this car for almost 3yrs, strange
  5. paddy

paddy Audi=No fault code, no idea

[Jan 11, 2011]
    Yea i have had some strange traffic announcement recently on my RNSE., "Caution , slow moving traffic in 3 miles" was one. Congestion ahead 20 miles is a common one on the M25 regardless of whether there is any congestion...lol
  6. mike foster

mike foster Fossie VCDS Map User

[Jan 11, 2011]
    20 yards more like !!!! lol :sm4: