1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uneven Rear Tyre Wear

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by 8ig_steve, Dec 20, 2011.

1. 8ig_steve

8ig_steve Member

[Dec 20, 2011]
    My A3 Sportback Sport has got to 16k miles and needs new front tyres, both have worn evenly if not a bit more down the middle suggesting tyre pressure could be a bit lower in future. I am happy with that.

BUT the rear tyres, I have discovered, have worn badly on the outer edges (1.6mm outer edge 5mm inner edge) which I am extremely unhappy about.

I have had the tracking checked and all is OK, Mr Audi says this is normal, I am thinking half my rear tyre life has been wasted.

The car is running on standard factory suspension, wheels etc

Any thoughts on this problem??
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 2, 2014]

3. cloughy

cloughy Member

[Dec 20, 2011]
    sounds like wheels were not correctly balanced

steer clear of Audi when the time comes to purchase tyres, find a reputable local fitter
  4. Agent_Trig

Agent_Trig Member

[Dec 21, 2011]
    You've had the tracking done, but have you had proper 4 wheel alignment done? Costs anywhere from £50 upwards depending on how far out your wheels are.

I wouldn't have thought it is the balancing that is at fault as you would be experiencing some vibrations through the floor.