Underwhelmed by sportback

Trentend

Reaction score
Just back from a viewing of a new grey sportback at Edinburgh audi. Afraid to say I was a tad disappointed. Approached from the front with the car nestled in amongst a number of A1s and I couldn't tell it apart. But more of a surprise was how small/short (lengthwise) it looked in the flesh. I was expecting it to be "estate like" similar to the A4 avant but it just looked like an A3 with extra doors. Was I looking at the right car?!

Just back from a viewing of a new grey sportback at Edinburgh audi. Afraid to say I was a tad disappointed. Approached from the front with the car nestled in amongst a number of A1s and I couldn't tell it apart. But more of a surprise was how small/short (lengthwise) it looked in the flesh. I was expecting it to be "estate like" similar to the A4 avant but it just looked like an A3 with extra doors. Was I looking at the right car?!

I viewed my own SB yesterday and it looked stunning everything I hoped it would be......can't wait to handover time.

The A3 SB compared to the 3dr to my mind is literally an extra set of doors and a bit more space in the back as well as in the luggage area......so a bit surprised you were expecting an estate like look as I don't think the car has ever been described as an estate.

**just re-read your comment and realised you have not ordered a car....just looking**

I suppose it personal choice! I was looking for a small car with good boot capacity and good space in the back for passengers!

it definitely is not an estate and I'm glad of it lol! I'm only 26 can't have my 'street cred' going just yet! (That's if I ever had any)

My big dilemma before ordering was a concern that it did look too much like an estate car. Glad that's not the case

Put roof rails on it, and it looks more like an estate.

Oh dear, I wouldn't have ordered mine if it had looked like an estate. My kids would have liked the 3 door, I am at the stage the convenience of 4 doors is important, but estate - no thanks. I saw a SB in Crewe Audi when it was doing the rounds. I knew as soon as I saw it that it was the car for me. Each to their own though

Couldn't disagree more with the OP. I thought it looked much more grown up than the A1 and more like the A4. One of the most annoying things for me about owning my old SB is that people sometimes referred to it as an 'estate.'

If I wanted an estate I'd be buying a VW or looking at an A4. The SB looks like the A3 with extra doors because, well, that's what it is! Its just a 5 door hatch. If it looked more like an estate I'd doubt if as many people posting here would be ordering one!

Not really sure what you were expecting to be honest - yes it's basically a 5-door A3, just a little bit longer. Of course it's not going to be anywhere near the size of an A4 or they'd cannibalise sales of those too much. It's also not supposed to be any kind of estate, hence the Sportback name rather than Avant.

Trentback - Did the Sportback you saw at Edinburgh Audi have 13 plates on it and if it did are you sure that it was the new model?

The reason I say this because when I was at Edinburgh Audi last weekend they had an old model Sportback with 13 plates on.

Trentback - Did the Sportback you saw at Edinburgh Audi have 13 plates on it and if it did are you sure that it was the new model?

The reason I say this because when I was at Edinburgh Audi last weekend they had an old model Sportback with 13 plates on.

There is a 13 plate new A3 SB sport in monsoon grey sitting at the very last space in the row as you leave the site which is possibly what trentend seen.

Looked well smart and I wonder if that is a demo car cos it was all polished up comsidering 2 weeks till launch date.

PjDali - I accept that Edinburgh Audi may well have new model A3 Sportback sitting about for the public to view, however they should not until the official release date, although by now everyone who wants to know will have a good idea as to what it looks like. What I noticed was as old model A3 Sportback with 13 plates on which was in the first parking space on the left going away from the building in one of the rows (not the exit row). What I am questioning is what model of A3 Sportback old or new Trentend was actually commenting about.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362224044874452

Hopefully trentend will be back online to let us know but this was the car I'd seen on Wednesday prior to seeing my own

I'd be surprised if someone posting on an Audi forum would mistake the old one for the new one.

I was as always picking up parts from my guys at audi today & was sat inside the new SB, imho, it was rather underwhelming for me tbh, I wasnt expecting a massive aurora over the car when I sat inside, but it seemed, well, not much tbh.

After driving a 3dr for a few days a month or so back testing, I was thinking maybe I needed it for longer.

Butttt, I still 100% think the screen is absolutely awful on the mmi, its very poor res imho & quality, damn what a let down which I also noted on the 3dr one I was using.

Admittedly I need to usse the car for a full proper review, but 1st impressions were lacklustre, ATM :)

I still 100% think the screen is absolutely awful on the mmi, its very poor res imho & quality, damn what a let down which I also noted on the 3dr one I was using.

I have to agree about the screen resolution. It's probably on-par with the one in my A4 but they could have done far better without it costing the earth. I certainly wasn't prepared to shell out £1000 for the tech pack to get it.

The A1 and Q3 were all the same. Other manufacturers I considered seemed to invest more in their screens.

Screen wise I'm not fussed so long as its clear and easy to read.

It's s car I'm driving so not sure I need a top notch display that would probably bump up the car cost as I've no plans to view video on it or anything that needs more definition.

I've not seen the more expensive screen that would come with the tech pack so maybe if I seen it I'd soon change my mind :)

It's s car I'm driving so not sure I need a top notch display that would probably bump up the car cost as I've no plans to view video on it or anything that needs more definition.

I've not seen the more expensive screen that would come with the tech pack so maybe if I seen it I'd soon change my mind :)

I currently have the low res sat nav screen on my 2012 A6, its fine & gets me to the right destinations most times!, however, having driven the A3 with tech pack screen a few weeks ago I have to admit it blew my screen out of the water, Sky HD compared to analogue SD
it does add a lot of extras including a larger screen too, the one downside is that its now a lot dearer at £1495 :-( (promotion finished on the 28/02/13) still worthy of consideration though.

I currently have the low res sat nav screen on my 2012 A6, its fine & gets me to the right destinations most times!, however, having driven the A3 with tech pack screen a few weeks ago I have to admit it blew my screen out of the water, Sky HD compared to analogue SD
it does add a lot of extras including a larger screen too, the one downside is that its now a lot dearer at £1495 :-( (promotion finished on the 28/02/13) still worthy of consideration though.

haha I knew someone would say that...just glad my car is now awaiting me picking it up otherwise I'd no doubt be thinking 'maybe I could.....' and my wife would be saying 'no you aren't......' :no:

Will maybe see one of the better screens next time I'm up in the dealership :icon_thumright:

haha I knew someone would say that...just glad my car is now awaiting me picking it up otherwise I'd no doubt be thinking 'maybe I could.....' and my wife would be saying 'no you aren't......' :no:

Will maybe see one of the better screens next time I'm up in the dealership :icon_thumright:

It's funny you mention that Pj as this was exactly the conversation I was having earlier with my wife, trying to convince her its worth the extra, not sure whether I was trying to convince her or myself!! Deal is I am seeing if there is any way my dealer might be able to work something out on the costs, I understand from earlier posts that I should be able to negotiate around £1700 off the list price, a free sat nav would help!

When Steve Jobs was criticised for not adding features to the ipod such as inbuilt FM radio he explained that not all users need that function and by including it they would be charged more for a redundant feature. I agree with that.

This is a similar case. Most people won't care about the res on the screen so its better for them that they save £x by not having a the tech pack as standard. For those that desire the better screen etc, there's the option to buy it.

Options will give a certain degree of payback too by increased satisfaction and increased resale value.

An extra £1495 to go from a 5.8 inch 400X234 display to a 7 inch 800x480 display is a lot of money (it is accepted that it is only an extra £1000 if you would have got the SD Sat Nav anyway and that additional functionality does come with the technology package).

PjDali - I accept that Edinburgh Audi may well have new model A3 Sportback sitting about for the public to view, however they should not until the official release date

I accept that this is a bit of a minor point in the conversation, but I'm not entirely sure that's true - the first time I ever saw the new A3 was at Stirling Audi back in July or August when a demo car was doing the rounds of the showrooms. I wasn't allowed to take any photos of it before the September release (it was a left hand drive so perhaps it was just because the spec wasn't guaranteed to be the same over here) but I got a tour and sat in it.