1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Under tray

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by sfs3, Apr 24, 2008.

1. sfs3

sfs3 New Member

Had a bit of a noghtmare last night and hit a log in the road at speed. It then broke the tray in 2 bits which I then need to remove as it was dragging along the road. Is Main stealer the only place for these and does anyone have apart number .Do you have to have theunder tray?

thanks

Simon
  2. Dave_Bayern

Dave_Bayern Slipping at 3.5Krpm

Most people dont run with the undertray, it always gets caught and comes off.

In fact, I've even ripped off the remaining undertray from a car two girls were driving in California.
  3. eagle_s3

eagle_s3 Member

Second that,

I don't even think my S3 had one when I bought it. No point in replacing it only to get it ripped off again as said above.

Not overly sure what it was there for anyway.

Being plastic it would provide little if any protection to the underside of the engine and in particular the sump which is very close to the ground on the S3. I have first hand experience of bottoming out and sticking a hole in the sump. I don't think the plastic tray would have help at all.

Was it there to provide some sort of aero dynamic feature?
  4. HTC

HTC Active Member

The tray isn't for protection. Its is for noise insulation and preventing dirt getting onto some of the parts. But yeah they often break. Mine is intact though.
  5. NoggyDS3

NoggyDS3 Member

I'd heard that too - I seem to remember someone on here a while ago saying that it also helped direct the airflow up to radiator too?!

My previous A3's got ripped off and i never bothered replacing it. In saying that, the one on my S3 is still intact...!
  6. 1animal1

1animal1 The Clar!! it mouves!!!

im struggling to define what undertray this is....i have a piece behind the bumper but this doesnt cover the sunp etc..... so assuming i havent got one?
  7. simch

simch Active Member

were they still moving ...........? You'll do anything to impress the girls!