Under bonnet pics

robthehungrymonkey

Reaction score
Since i bought my s3, i knew that I needed a new battery cover, what I want to make sure is that there isn't anything else cosmetic missing under the bonnet.

can someone post a pic of their car with the bonnet open? Standard would be best, but any modded examples are always useful (and interesting).

Also, does anyone know where I could get one from? Or the part number?

Thanks,

ROb.

engine%20bay.jpg

imola s3 - u seem to have a large lump of plastic where u'r engine's supposed to be!

i've not seen the side section around the washer bottle before - or the solid battery cover.

are these late-spec items on both the S3 and the A3 - or s3 only spec?

[ QUOTE ]
WoW!!!!!

Perfect!!

And amazingly prompt response!

thanks!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Always glad to be of service! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

yeah battery cover is different too mine and i havent seen bottle cover of the left side b4? is it meant to be there???

[ QUOTE ]
imola s3 - u seem to have a large lump of plastic where u'r engine's supposed to be!

i've not seen the side section around the washer bottle before - or the solid battery cover.

[/ QUOTE ]
Possible just S3 spec... my car is a 1999 V-reg.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what i'm missing.

that a K&N panel filter in there?

[ QUOTE ]
that a K&N panel filter in there?

[/ QUOTE ]
I did have a K&N panel filter in there, but I have removed the airbox now and fitted a Neuspeed P-Flo induction kit now.

much difference mate? how much mate

How do you find it ImolaS3?

I thought the neuspeed 'type' ones gave less power due to heat soak or something?

I cant see it being very advantageous as even with a heat shield its till open in the enginebay and will suck in hot air.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
I cant see it being very advantageous as even with a heat shield its till open in the enginebay and will suck in hot air.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

they look nice, would the cover fit an A3?

[ QUOTE ]
It was the replacement brake servo vacum pipe which is prone to splitting and causing boost leaks.

nervus-sam3.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

My 1999 S3 doesn't seem to have that part, and looking at Imola's engine bay, you can't see it there neither?

@ jojo,

Do you mean the blue hose? It replaces a standard u-shaped black rubber hose which taps off boost to the brake system or something. It is prone to splitting on the inside and causes boost leaks.

[ QUOTE ]
@ jojo,

Do you mean the blue hose? It replaces a standard u-shaped black rubber hose which taps off boost to the brake system or something. It is prone to splitting on the inside and causes boost leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, the blue one, if you scroll to the top of this thread and have a look at Imola's engine bay, the pipe above it is different shape and there isn't that U-shaped pipe where you have circled, so maybe these were updated at some point.

The replaced hose sits under the one in ImolaS3's pic, it's there its just real small and hard to see. If you look on my pic, the black pipe is still there above the blue one.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can fit all the covers to an A3. I trial fitted all the covers from my friends S3 to my car just see if they would a while back.

The washer bottle cover just needs a little bracket the fit to the washer bottle fixings for it to be secure.

The battery cover requires the complete S3 battery tray for it to work as factory although you can get away without this and make your own fixings.

A few people with golfs have done this.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can fit all the covers to an A3. I trial fitted all the covers from my friends S3 to my car just see if they would a while back.

The washer bottle cover just needs a little bracket the fit to the washer bottle fixings for it to be secure.

The battery cover requires the complete S3 battery tray for it to work as factory although you can get away without this and make your own fixings.

A few people with golfs have done this.

[/ QUOTE ]

The battery covers is actually a pretty tight fit with NO fixings. I got one off ebay a few months back and only jsut got around to fitting it last night aswell as tarting up the rest of the engine bay. Makes it look so much tidier. Just need the other side cover now.

Rich

I wouldnt mind all the covers done in carbon, might look into this in the future.

How does the strut brace attach on the s3. I had a look on my 1.8ts and couldnt see any factory holes or lugs. Is it possible to fit one or is it worth getting an aftermarket item?

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt mind all the covers done in carbon, might look into this in the future.

How does the strut brace attach on the s3. I had a look on my 1.8ts and couldnt see any factory holes or lugs. Is it possible to fit one or is it worth getting an aftermarket item?

[/ QUOTE ]

its easy enough to fit an S3 strut brace. There are 2 ways i would recomend doing it.

A) Drill the holes and use 'Nutserts (o a search on them to save me explaining)
B) Drill holes and tap them and bolt directly into the body. its about 5mm thick so wont be a problem!

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
B) Drill holes and tap them and bolt directly into the body. its about 5mm thick so wont be a problem!

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll come loose...
I did this on my Golf...you are best bolting straight through to make sure the damn thing is ridid.

A strut brace with loose bolts is of no use to man nor beast.

My bolts on my strut brace have not come loose in 2 years but they do have spring washers under the stainless cap heads i fitted, you could try loctite thread lock too.
Cheers "Bingo"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They'll come loose...
I did this on my Golf...you are best bolting straight through to make sure the damn thing is ridid.

A strut brace with loose bolts is of no use to man nor beast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i cant argue with tried and tested!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Nutserts shouldbe fine. Its just a real pain in the **** bolting things up when you have the shock and spring in the way.

RIch

[ QUOTE ]
@EssThree, nice clamps mate.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Required clamps Chris...

Blowing hoses off under load, when running 1.8 bar and over, is no fun.

Those things wouldn't blow off...