Facelift UK RS3 Saloon/SB (400ps) Order Thread...

I have an 2017 s3 with 400bhp stronic, I then drove a 2017 rs3 back to back and was dissapointed if I'm honest. The exhaust honestly doesn't sound much different to the s3 (I have a Milltek cat back tbf). There was no pops or bangs whatsoever (sports exhaust). And it wasn't quite as fast (50ft torque down). The only thing I took away from the test drive was that I love the alcantara steering wheel.

So the only thing that can justify the rs3 for me is hoping that an aftermarket exhaust sorts the sound out, it will remap to 470+ and the exclusivity of an rs3. Oh and the steering wheel :)
Must be a loud exhaust. My PFL RS3 is approximately 37 times louder than my stock Golf R was!

I'm having a bad night, the S3 is about to be recovered.. again :'( Clunking driveshaft :'(

In bits, gutted!

But this is the third major failure; steering rack, wheel bearing housing and now a driveshaft knocking its boobies off!

Rejection! Save me the difference in the settlement

Reactions: deanshaw24
I'm having a bad night, the S3 is about to be recovered.. again :'( Clunking driveshaft :'(

In bits, gutted!

But this is the third major failure; steering rack, wheel bearing housing and now a driveshaft knocking its boobies off!

Rejection! Save me the difference in the settlement
You been launching it from every set of lights again?!

You been launching it from every set of lights again?!

Crisis averted!! False alarm!! :lmfao:

Wheel bolt missing and all others loose on the one wheel, god knows how! The guy said he'd have put money on it being a offside front driveshaft, but ended up being nearside!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You sure it ain't the result of attempted wheel theft? :(

@AudiNutta - I've never had wheel bolts/nuts come loose in almost 40yrs of motoring. I only ever check them for tightness about a week after having removed them, I know your supposed to check them more often.......

I don't mean to scare you, but would question WTF has gone on. When were they last undone/done up etc, and was that at an Audi garage? If a wheel has come that loose that you've heard knocking sounds, then the mechanical parts of that wheel station need to be examined very carefully. One immediate check is on the alloy wheel to see if the bolt holes have become enlongated.

Reactions: Evotion
@AudiNutta - I've never had wheel bolts/nuts come loose in almost 40yrs of motoring. I only ever check them for tightness about a week after having removed them, I know your supposed to check them more often.......

I don't mean to scare you, but would question WTF has gone on. When were they last undone/done up etc, and was that at an Audi garage? If a wheel has come that loose that you've heard knocking sounds, then the mechanical parts of that wheel station need to be examined very carefully. One immediate check is on the alloy wheel to see if the bolt holes have become enlongated.

The wheels were last off around 6 weeks ago and have been fine ever since, I always torque them up too. He checked all other 3 and they were fine.

Do you think I should have it inspected? The AA mechanic suggested there was no follow-up and just no explanation. I could pop it down to Audi tomorrow I suppose.

I would get it checked. When you say the wheels were last off around six weeks ago, was that by Audi and will it be the same dealership who had the wheels off that your thinking of having it inspected by now?

I would get it checked. When you say the wheels were last off around six weeks ago, was that by Audi and will it be the same dealership who had the wheels off that your thinking of having it inspected by now?

No I had the wheels off myself to clean them, the car has done not far off 1000 miles since! If they were loose, it would have been an issue sooner. Even after I've triple checked each wheel, I go back around and check them all again so I'm confident it wasn't down to me.

I may call Audi in advance this morning and ask them nicely if I can pop it down later, I know they are busy. I am going to ADI tomorrow, so don't want to be left stuck if they decide to wriggle back out.

Sounds extremely bizarre. There's no way they would work loose if done up properly. It's either that they were not tightened correctly by whoever last had the wheels off, or has been suggested, someone has deliberately loosened them for whatever reason.

If there was evidence it was Audi, I would be raging. Imagine a wheel coming off at high speed. It would not be a pretty ending.

Sounds extremely bizarre. There's no way they would work loose if done up properly. It's either that they were not tightened correctly by whoever last had the wheels off, or has been suggested, someone has deliberately loosened them for whatever reason.

If there was evidence it was Audi, I would be raging. Imagine a wheel coming off at high speed. It would not be a pretty ending.

It was definitely me that had them off last time, I am so careful so I really don't know what to think.

I'd like to think nobody has messed with them, the car hasn't been left anywhere as such and the work car park is secure.

Trying to find a workshop who will fit it in to check is proving difficult.

This happened to me!
We had only bought the GTC a week before. I was driving down to road heading in Walton-on-Thames and it felt like I had a puncture - something was not right. The bloke behind me was flashing at me.
As I did a right turn at the junction it got substantially worse, the other driver pulled alongside and screamed at me to pull over.
Spookily enough, I pulled into the HR Owen Aston Martin garage. The other bloke followed me in.

The nearside rear wheel was completely dangling off.
The bloke got out of his car and helped me remove it. In fact, did everything.. he must have assume I was a useless, lazy Bentley owner - and he was right.

As he removed the wheel, all bolts bar one fell onto the floor. We were both shocked. The other one need just a slight screw to prise off.
There was damage to the suspension arm and the car eventually had to be towed. Bit embarrassing.

3 things...
  • The bloke flagging me down and helping me to that extent was AMAZING and I was very grateful
  • If this had happened on a motorway it could have been disastrous
  • HR Owen were great, came out, and brought us both a coffee!
I obviously called the trader immediately. I told him the wheel practically fell off. He was horrified and said that the wheel refurbishment company were the last to have it. He contacted them and they immediately claimed fault and paid for everything!!
It must have been his relationship with them as I was expecting to get shafted.

Horrific early ownership experience. A couple of other things happened and we considered selling it after 6 weeks....
All good now - had it year.

Reactions: AudiNutta
It was definitely me that had them off last time, I am so careful so I really don't know what to think.

I'd like to think nobody has messed with them, the car hasn't been left anywhere as such and the work car park is secure.

Trying to find a workshop who will fit it in to check is proving difficult.
I would be very concerned in that case if you are sure you didn't forget one of the wheels. It just doesn't happen. Three bolts would be enough for normal driving. Five is overkill really and so they would never work loose.

I would be very concerned in that case if you are sure you didn't forget one of the wheels. It just doesn't happen. Three bolts would be enough for normal driving. Five is overkill really and so they would never work loose.

110% I did not forget one of them, like I said I triple check which makes me think they worked loose. The only one I am cautious with is the locker for obvious reasons, this and one of the other bolts was tight.. I had 1 missing and 2 loose ultimately. Perhaps I did, but like I said I am so careful I find it difficult to believe, normally in a situation like this you naturally end up doubting yourself but I'm not.

It's booked into Audi this afternoon to check it all over, because I wasn't hanging about last night when I took it out.. only when I slowed it started doing it. It was when the gearbox disengaged just over 10mph, there was a repeated banging on rotation and it could be felt through the seats / foot wells. When I took the AA Tech out, it was quiet until the car warmed up then started doing it again.. strange, this is why he said he would have put money on it being a driveshaft.

I did notice the Smart cars only have 3 wheel bolts!

It is a bad thought, what has gone on is either attempted theft or I'm sorry to even suggest, somebody had it in for you.........

It is a bad thought, what has gone on is either attempted theft or I'm sorry to even suggest, somebody had it in for you.........

Yep it's not a nice thought! The car hasn't done much mileage in the last week, trying to think of where I've had it parked.

For 3/4 days this week it's been parked at work, nobody would have chance to go and mess and I can't see why anybody would want to. Otherwise it's in the garage at all times, never left outside the house.

I went on a run out to Bristol on Tuesday but the car was only stopped for a few minutes. Maybe it was me, who knows but I'm confident I am careful and having done near on 1000 miles since I doubt it. Plus 2/5 were tight, I wouldn't have stopped part way around.

This is @AudiNutta just about to pick up his gleaming new RS3 - finally....

:)

I do envy you really. Like others, I can't wait to hear your first report on it!

Reactions: Terminator x and AudiNutta
I did notice the Smart cars only have 3 wheel bolts!

But please bear in mind the LOW power and torque being passed to those wheels and of course the lightness of the car dictating such a mechanical fitment.

@AudiNutta - I know you are doing an apprenticeship, but not sure what in. I would get yourself a new set of wheel bolts for that wheel station and check the thread carefully in the hub concerned. Look to see if any wheel balance weights have been knocked off or any sign of the inside of the wheel having made contact with the caliper and the suspension leg/spring. If I'm stating the obvious, then I'm sorry, but would rather give you my 2p worth to try and get this sorted than see you get further in the mire :)

@AudiNutta - I know you are doing an apprenticeship, but not sure what in. I would get yourself a new set of wheel bolts for that wheel station and check the thread carefully in the hub concerned. Look to see if any wheel balance weights have been knocked off or any sign of the inside of the wheel having made contact with the caliper and the suspension leg/spring. If I'm stating the obvious, then I'm sorry, but would rather give you my 2p worth to try and get this sorted than see you get further in the mire :)

I've now completed my apprenticeship, fully fledged from June. It was in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, from my job role I do have a fair amount of experience with the mechanical side of it too.

I am sat in Audi now for them to give it a once over, it's the threads in the hub I am most concerned about.

Reactions: neg
Ok lads, just had the opportunity to hear a FLS3 and PFLRS3 side by side! I can tell you, trying to be as unbiased as possible, the RS3 is honestly 4x louder!!!

The RS3 is ridiculously loud, like a supercar. The S3 is more like a normal hor hatch.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and AudiNutta
Ok lads, just had the opportunity to hear a FLS3 and PFLRS3 side by side! I can tell you, trying to be as unbiased as possible, the RS3 is honestly 4x louder!!!

The RS3 is ridiculously loud, like a supercar. The S3 is more like a normal hor hatch.

Now where does the FL RS3 fit into that equation?

@dunes7

Right, now the S3 IS broken. I've got my clunking / clicking back that was there both when the Rack failed and when the wheel bearing housing went on the previous two occasions.

I'm going to drive it tomorrow to ADI carefully, then call them when I get back if it's there. I have some damning video evidence, clicking badly and then jacking the one wheel up stops the noise.. lower and click click click click.

Errr, I wouldn't go far with a car doing that, not even driving carefully. Who knows what's wrong and your life is more important..........

Had a call from the dealer to say my car has arrived at their PDI centre, arranged a handover of next Thursday. I must be the least excited member on here picking up a new car (RS3 SB). It's sad cause I'll be out of my RS Q3 Performance and other than an intermittant fault that hasn't been fixed I love the car, it's outrageous performance is hidden so well......... :(

Finally a pic of the floret RS3 Saloon from the side. Do you guys think it needs the red brakes? I think this car is missing privacy glass funnily enough.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Errr, I wouldn't go far with a car doing that, not even driving carefully. Who knows what's wrong and your life is more important..........

They made me drive it last time saying it was safe and it's a very similar noise, not quite as bad as the rack. I don't want to call them out and it be nothing, it was there after I washed it not before that I noticed.

I will be on a steady plod at 50-55, pull over in the services and if I see any sign of it developing (I know the noise well by now) then I will call them to come out.

Note the video is on the drivers side, cause seems to be on the passengers side.

Last edited:
Now where does the FL RS3 fit into that equation?
Oh dear @infernox trying to be a smart ****?! If you read further up this extensive chain of messages, you'll see someone has a Milltek exhaust on his S3. That's where my comment comes into the complicated equation. Including the numerous comments over PFL and FL exhaust noise. Why be such a tool?

Oh dear @infernox trying to be a smart ****?! If you read further up this extensive chain of messages, you'll see someone has a Milltek exhaust on his S3. That's where my comment comes into the complicated equation. Including the numerous comments over PFL and FL exhaust noise. Why be such a tool?

Steady on @Doc, you comment on a FL S3 vs a PFL RS3, all he said was legit asking what the best ever sounding Audi RS was like next to those two :box::gun2::haudrauf::haha:

Steady on @Doc, you comment on a FL S3 vs a PFL RS3, all he said was legit asking what the best ever sounding Audi RS was like next to those two :box::gun2::haudrauf::haha:
I've made, what I think, is a valid and interesting observation and been slapped down for it. I don't think I'm the one who needs to 'steady on'.

Had a call from the dealer to say my car has arrived at their PDI centre, arranged a handover of next Thursday. I must be the least excited member on here picking up a new car (RS3 SB). It's sad cause I'll be out of my RS Q3 Performance and other than an intermittant fault that hasn't been fixed I love the car, it's outrageous performance is hidden so well......... :(
Good times.. at what stage did youraudi update to your car is on ship on the way to the UK? Was your build date 21st August? Thanks in advance :)

On yourAudi last Saturday it changed to say it was on a ship, then on Tuesday morning this week it said it was in the UK (stage 40). As of now it is still saying it is at a UK port awaiting transportation to the dealer, even though the dealer has called me on Friday afternoon to say they have the car at their PDI centre....... My planned build date was 21/8/17, but it actually went into build on the 17/8/17. It has been three weeks since mine left the factory to arrive at the dealer, others have had much shorter times than I have - Luck of the draw I guess.......

Huh, I never slapped you down @D0C , just asking a question. If the PFL RS3 is 4x louder than the FL S3, where does the FL RS3 fit?

I have an 2017 s3 with 400bhp stronic, I then drove a 2017 rs3 back to back and was dissapointed if I'm honest. The exhaust honestly doesn't sound much different to the s3 (I have a Milltek cat back tbf). There was no pops or bangs whatsoever (sports exhaust). And it wasn't quite as fast (50ft torque down).

So a tuned FL S3 with Milltek cat back sounds similar to FL RS3. How much louder is the FL S3 with a Milltek cat back compared to a stock FL S3?

Huh, I never slapped you down @D0C , just asking a question. If the PFL RS3 is 4x louder than the FL S3, where does the FL RS3 fit?

So a tuned FL S3 with Milltek cat back sounds similar to FL RS3. How much louder is the FL S3 with a Milltek cat back compared to a stock FL S3?
Fair enough, I'll apologise for misunderstanding in that case.

I was lucky enough to visit an Audi PDI centre the other day where they had literally dozens of RS cars. I was allowed to start a FL RS3 up and to take mine inside to hear them side by side. The FL sounds quite similar, subtle differences I suppose and not quite as loud. But still great. It's actually the loss of the crackles on downshifts I'm most disappointed with!

There's no way an S3 with a Milltek sounds similar to an RS3. It might have the volume but they're completely different sounds.

Finally a pic of the floret RS3 Saloon from the side. Do you guys think it needs the red brakes? I think this car is missing privacy glass funnily enough.

Needs privacy glass yes.

Red brakes not needed.

New alloys look good on the saloon in silver.

Fair enough, I'll apologise for misunderstanding in that case.

I was lucky enough to visit an Audi PDI centre the other day where they had literally dozens of RS cars. I was allowed to start a FL RS3 up and to take mine inside to hear them side by side. The FL sounds quite similar, subtle differences I suppose and not quite as loud. But still great. It's actually the loss of the crackles on downshifts I'm most disappointed with!

There's no way an S3 with a Milltek sounds similar to an RS3. It might have the volume but they're completely different sounds.

I am at ADI and asked Audi nicely to start the RS3 Saloon with a sports exhaust, they did.. horray!!! It really does sound good and still retains a lot of depth, no bangs but lots of pops and there is a big difference when it goes into dynamic unlike what's been said previous.

Got my order number off my dealer where do I track it online? And when does it update? Cheers

On yourAudi last Saturday it changed to say it was on a ship, then on Tuesday morning this week it said it was in the UK (stage 40). As of now it is still saying it is at a UK port awaiting transportation to the dealer, even though the dealer has called me on Friday afternoon to say they have the car at their PDI centre....... My planned build date was 21/8/17, but it actually went into build on the 17/8/17. It has been three weeks since mine left the factory to arrive at the dealer, others have had much shorter times than I have - Luck of the draw I guess.......
Thanks thats fantastic.. very helpful info... mine left factory on the 2nd of September and has been on status 36 at emden since the 4th of September since... disappointed was expecting it around 3-4 weeks from build which doesn't seem like it will happen now still awaiting ship according to YourAudi :( 2 weeks exactly today since it left factory.