UK Road Tax (VED) from April 2018

Its a friggin joke

Reactions: Bristle Hound
This has been the case for at least the last 5yrs, if not the last 10yrs....

This has been the case for at least the last 5yrs, if not the last 10yrs....

I know in the past it was changed from time to time, but this year as RPI is 4.1% Base tax will go from £140 to something like £145 without a budget announcement...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I know in the past it was changed from time to time, but this year as RPI is 4.1% Base tax will go from £140 to something like £145 without a budget announcement...

Apologies but 'time to time' isn't quite accurate. It has gone up by around £5 (does depend on what class you are in obviously) every single year since 2009. I couldn't be bothered to look any further, but I'm sure it goes further back than that.

Class G went from £150 in 09/10, to £185 by 16/17.

A quick Google image search of VED rates will show you this...

Reactions: SootySport
A, B and C have not changed and D-F by £25. As you say G and above were increased much more. Difference this time is that everyone apart from A will get an increase, bottom to top...

A, B and C have not changed and D-F by £25. As you say G and above were increased much more. Difference this time is that everyone apart from A will get an increase, bottom to top...

Well yes, a 3-5% rise will be relative to the amount that it’s based on. Raising the old £10 rate by 3.5% would have amounted to 35p, so not really any point changing it...! Conversely a 3.5% rise on £460 would amount to about a £15 rise to £475.

The only reason everyone now has a change is only becuase the new rates has everyone paying a flat £140 fee now. 4% increase on £140 is about £5 extra....

I’m really struggling with the argument you’re trying to make here...? Your OP made out that increasing VED rates year on year by the RPI is a new thing (“road tax will now be...”), when in fact it’s been that way for the last 10years.

My point was that *everyone* will have a guaranteed rise every year, even those who have been paying a small but relatively fixed amount each year. Also the increases in the past were notionally to discourage buying higher CO2 cars. We’re now back to simple inflation.

You’re right, the RPI increase makes very little difference to anyone who has bought a car after April ‘17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just paid a full year on my wagon and it’s gone up by £10 again... that’s £20 increase in 2 years. I’m almost at the point of my insurance costing as much as my tax :-(

I consider myself fortunate as I've just purchased a superb Audi Q5, but I had to swallow hard when the car tax was announced at £450. Upon getting home I checked the Government website and sure enough any car that has a LIST price of over £40k PAYS THIS LEVEL and will do so for 5 years. OUCH.
BUT A GREAT CAR.