Uh oh....

J17_KNO

Reaction score
Evening everyone,

having a problem with my 170 diesel a3. Pull out of a junction tonight and the car started juddering and the glow plug light was flashing, then pulled over down the road, turned her off and tried to start again but the engine kept firing and then dying, each time with the glow plug light flashing.

After several attempts I got the car going but the engine management light was on. Very down on power which I'm assuming is limp mode, but seemed to be driving ok but half way along the road home the glow plug light started flashing again as well the engine management light staying on.

Waiting to hear if I can take the car to my mates dad to get it scanned for faults, but in the meantime has anyone experienced similar or got any ideas?

Thanks

Justin

At the risk of stating the obvious.... faulty glow plug?? A scan should show this up straight away

Faulty glow plugs would not cause issues while driving.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I thought glow plugs also but didn't think that they would cause an issue while driving.

Hopefully get it scanned tonight and find out what's wrong with it.

You have to get it scanned to see what is wrong. The flashing glow plug light indicates A problem, not necessarily that there is a problem with the glow plugs.
Even so, if there is one-two-three glow plugs faulty, the only problem you should have is difficult engine start when cold.

Had something very similar a few months ago. Glow plug light flashing, limp mode, bad start etc. Turned out EGR valve had gone. Showed up on a scan straight away. Luckily got mine sorted via Audi warranty.

Hope you get it sorted.

Got it scanned last night, turns out it's the engine speed sensor. Shouldn't be too much of an issue to change so I'll do it myself ha ha