1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David

David Owdee A-free

I'm after a pair of 225/45/17's...
    Got a price of £93 for some Avons, or £103 for the Pirelli's.
    Are there any other brands worth looking at? Didn't really wanna pay more than £80 a corner tbh...
    Cheers,

2. gixxer600k4

gixxer600k4 Member

look at the dunlop sp sport 9000 i have them in same size, great tyre, good road holding, low noise levels, good in wet,

3. Wai-Fan

Wai-Fan Member

I've got Michelin Pilot Sports on mine. Very good grip in the dry, in the wet it's still really good, but it can lose traction if you feel like flooring it in 1st or 2nd. Comfortable and noise levels are fairly low.
    However, they do cost a bit more than the ones you chosen, mine were £115 each from Costco.

4. Cali

Cali Member

5. kaz219

kaz219 Active Member VCDS Map User

Not sur eif they're in budget but i have conti sport 3s - awesome tyres :D

6. klauster

klauster Well-Known Member

Best tyres I've had for the money = Goodyear AssMetrics!

7. Boydie

Boydie S3 8V DSG VCDS Map User

I have done the budget thing and no way will i do it again - made of pish and shiite!

I have 235/35/19 bridgeston potenza RE050A's on my car now and they are fantastic!

8. alfiejts

alfiejts Member

I'll never do the budget thing again.

Auto Express tested a number of budget tyres against a Conti tyre which they reckoined represented a typical "quality tyre".

In a braking test from 50mph to zero, one of the cheap tyres was still doing 30mph at the point that the Conti tyre had stopped the car completely.

They're the only things holding you car onto the road, so I'll never skimp again.

Its then just a question of pesonal preference over which "premium" tyre to pick....

I'm no expert, but my Pirelli P Zeros wore out in 10,000 miles, whereas the Conti Sport Contact 3's I replaced them with are still going strong after 20,000 miles and they seem to be more sure-footed too...

I'll probably replace them with the same again, but I haven't experienced some of the other makes quoted here...

Conti's always seem to get a "top 3" rating in any of the Auto Express tyre tests though, so they seem a good all round compromise.

If you want a really sticky tyre that grips in the dry but wears out quicker, then there are probably others that do that better, but if you're an "ordinary" road driver, looking for a good balance of dry handling, wet handling, tyre wear and longivity, then Conti's always seem to offer that balanced formula in the tests...

9. Neil C

Neil C Active Member Audi A3 S-line owners group Team Brill Red TDi Manual

Eagle F1 Asymmetrics every time - either off of the net or from ATS @ £203 per pair fitted.
    :o.k:

10. BenUK

BenUK Member

It seems like no one can recommend the same tyre twice! :)

What are Michelins like for an A3?

11. klauster

klauster Well-Known Member

not worth the money