1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyres

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by JT-007, Apr 25, 2014.

1. squiretolley

squiretolley Active Member

I recently made the brave move to Vredestein Ultrac Vorti on all 4 corners. Haven't used them in the wet yet, but the dry grip is phenomenal. They're probably the best dry tyre I've had to date and that includes F1, PS3, RE050, P Zero and plenty of others. Cost me £83 each from Camskill and £10 each to fit.
  2. Don76

Don76 Active Member

This is exactly why new tyres should always be fitted to the rear.
  3. veeeight

veeeight Well-Known Member

4. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

This is always the advice given, because they are trying to prevent accidents by people who are unable to drive sensibly in the snow or ice. Since I'm careful in these conditions, and since I don't take the car to the edge of its grip in normal driving, I'd much rather have the better tyres on my driven wheels, and also the wheels where most of the braking force is concentrated. Putting your better tyres on the back is all well and good for the odd idiot who likes to go screaming round corners testing the limits of grip, not for most people though.
  5. steeve

steeve Active Member

I think the Conti's on my car are total pants. I had Michelins on my TTS and they were stunning. However I did have the F1's on a Prodrive STi and wet grip was bordering on unbelievable, just stunning. So when I come to change my tyres it will be a close thing between Michelins and Goodyear.
    But at the small amount of mileage I've done in six weeks of ownership (500 miles!) I think they'll out last me.
  6. Don76

Don76 Active Member

Each to their own. But having been in the tyre trade for 12 years and having bought and sold many millions of tyres, I can assure you there is good reason behind this advice.

Basically new tyres on front = oversteer.
    New tyres on rear = understeer.

For 99% of drivers on UK roads, understeer is far easier to control than oversteer.

We're car guys on here, so a little oversteer is fun. But for your average Joe coming towards your lovely S3 in the wet - I'd hope he had 'em on the rear.