Tyres - potentially winter wheels?

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi gents,

I know there are quite a few threads, but all seem to point in different directions!

My AVUS are in average condition and pretty sure they will be replaced by RSTTs in the New Year. However, currently they are in need of new front tyres.

What should I get? And are you of the opinion it should be the same tyre all round? I'd rather not replace the two rears, but they are P6000 and have not been the greatest. Shame really as they were excellent on the Clio before I upgraded to 16"s!

These might just stay as winter wheels, so something good in the wet/snow would be ideal!

Thoughts?

Haha, two great minds think alike. I'm going down the same route as you, Avus' for winter and RSTT's for summer.

Uniroyal RainSport 2s are fantastic in the wet (as you can imagine) but nowt special in the snow.
I'd go for mud & snow tyres if I were you.

These are mine...
20090913_CRW_3629.jpg

Yokohama%20IG721-300.jpg

<tuffty/>

Those Yokos are what I need. We get plenty of snow up here to justify those badboys!

They are brilliant... cannot tell you what a difference they make in snow.... its like night and day... ok, its not dry weather or wet weather levels of grip but in snow they just work... not sure that pattern is available anymore... I bought them from ebay for £120 for the 4 tyres...

Yokohama Ice Guard...

<tuffty/>

i like how people are defining summer as good weather.....I bet over the last few years we have had more rain in the summer season than winter, oops forgot about the 1 week of snow.......lol

I'm surprised with the comment on P6000's being good. It's a well known fact they are average at best! Personally I don't see any need to purchase winter tyres when we only have a few weeks of snow at most. But if you have the spare cash why not :p

i personally call p6000 ditchfinders as they seem to be crap in all weather. Everyone i know has bad experiences with them

They have been awful on the S3 :( They were fine on the Clio, but then again that was while I was 17 and moved up to 16's with ContiSports a year later... Lol.

Thanks Paul, having a look at the tyre place near me that does used tyres. I only want a set for now until Jan as in Feb I'll be RSTTing it with Contis :)

Winter tyres dont only work better in the snow, they work better whenever its cold.

The summer compound rubber just doesnt grip properly once the ambient temp drops much below about 10c

I've just baught a set of Dunlop WinterSport 3D's from german ebay for the A4. Had a good look round and they seem to get rave reviews, Consistently scoring in the top three:

2010 Auto Bild Winter 4x4 TyreTest - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
2010 Auto Express Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
2010 Auto Bild Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
2010 European Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide
2010 AMS Winter Tyre Test - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

Two of them are here, just waiting for the other two and i'll get them installed.