Tyres - one to avoid

scotty76

Reaction score
We seem to get lots of recommendations for tyres here on the B7 forum. So for a change, here's one to avoid: Marangoni Mythos.

These were on the back of my car when I bought it. I was sure they were rubbish as it was possible to get the back to step out which is not normal for a FWD car! At the weekend I got the front and backs swapped as I'm getting some "wheel bearing" type noises which usually means the backs are on the way out and are worn on the inner edge. The other tyres are Conti Sport Contact 5. They are pretty recently fitted and have been excellent in both dry and wet, always grippy despite the demands of 240bhp and FWD.

So now the Mythos are on the front the full horror has become apparent. They are absolutely hopeless. Driving home in the rain last night it felt like I was driving on ice. Traction control light on a lot. Rubbish. I hope they die soon but I have a feeling my fear of death may prompt me to change them next pay day!

To put this into context, before the Conti's I was running Kumho KU39s on the front. They were very good and a full £40 each cheaper than the Conti's. So want a cheaper tyre recommendation? Buy the Kumho's. :) Got a bit more cash? Try the Conti's.

This is all just my opinion.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Nice tip there and I totally agree with your post. Yes, I bought Sport Conti 5's in 2012 and I thought they were the best summer tyre I have ever used, especially in the wet...no aquaplaning or loss of control even in the deepest water/rain. the Kumho I have on my 19's this have been surprisingly good too but the Conti's win it.

Never heard of that other brand...sounds like a Greek Tragedy!

Cheers
A

Reactions: V6 Quatt and scotty76
Could have been worse could have been in the likes of Linglong or Wanli.

I always say you can tell if the owner appreciates his car by the tyres he buys.

I am at the point currently on deciding on tyres for my 2.0tq.

As I have had a lot of mixed reviews.

I finally spoke to a bloke in Germany from Audi recommending me all the tyres suggested for Quattro system. As this stupid bearing noise as suggested above is becoming annoying, even thou they suggest to rotate tyres every 5000 miles on the quattro's I now have a bearing noise at 35-50mph. Really off putting. And a shame considering the tyres stil have around 5mm of life left across the board. But the front left has this horrible saw tooth effect on the tyre.

I think when the new tyres are on a full 4wd - 14 point alignment is in order.

I found it funny how a lot of the normal brands I thought would come up did'nt.

Anyhow for me

Its either going to be a case of going for

High Price
Mich Pilot Sport 2/3

Mid Price
Conti SportContact 5 P XL -
Dunlop SportMaxx RT - As dunlops was the OEM tyre for the dtms

Lower Price
Vred Vorti
Vred Ultra Senssa

I assume you referring to the Kumho Ecsra LE Sport Ku39XL, they are recommend by Audi but not as a front runner as purely from a noise factor of the tyre being 76 db. Second being Bridgestone Potenza S001 at 73.

Thou it may equate to diff views for others in the real world.

Could have been worse could have been in the likes of Linglong or Wanli.

I always say you can tell if the owner appreciates his car by the tyres he buys.

I am at the point currently on deciding on tyres for my 2.0tq.

As I have had a lot of mixed reviews.

I finally spoke to a bloke in Germany from Audi recommending me all the tyres suggested for Quattro system. As this stupid bearing noise as suggested above is becoming annoying, even thou they suggest to rotate tyres every 5000 miles on the quattro's I now have a bearing noise at 35-50mph. Really off putting. And a shame considering the tyres stil have around 5mm of life left across the board. But the front left has this horrible saw tooth effect on the tyre.

I think when the new tyres are on a full 4wd - 14 point alignment is in order.

I found it funny how a lot of the normal brands I thought would come up did'nt.

Anyhow for me

Its either going to be a case of going for

High Price
Mich Pilot Sport 2/3

Mid Price
Conti SportContact 5 P XL -
Dunlop SportMaxx RT - As dunlops was the OEM tyre for the dtms

Lower Price
Vred Vorti
Vred Ultra Senssa

I assume you referring to the Kumho Ecsra LE Sport Ku39XL, they are recommend by Audi but not as a front runner as purely from a noise factor of the tyre being 76 db. Second being Bridgestone Potenza S001 at 73.

Thou it may equate to diff views for others in the real world.

Yep, those ones....I have them on my 19's and the road noise is remarkably quiet imho...and I am quite fussy about RN sort of things...only on some surfaces does it get slightly on your wick. I would say 90% of road surfaces up here the Kumho's are fine on...and the road surfaces in IKEA land are not that good as Engerland. The Cont's are quieter but they are 17's and you'd expect that eh?

Cheers
A

I assume you referring to the Kumho Ecsra LE Sport Ku39XL, they are recommend by Audi but not as a front runner as purely from a noise factor of the tyre being 76 db.

Yep those are the ones. I can't say I noticed them being noisy. Odd, Blackcircles.com list them as 74dB. Conti 5's are 72dB.

Had Mich Pilot Sport 2 on my Leon Cupra. Didn't like them, poor in the wet.

Another fun drive home from work, on the "Greek tragedies" (thanks A!) as they shall now be known. Got wheel spin in 3rd gear. That's new.

Reactions: Molnboman
Hi Guys ,
just had all four corners replaced with the latest Falken rubber. 235 x 40 x 18s. Had them fitted at Deemon Tweeks as they had a deal on (£530 ) . So far so good , little or no road noise and the grip in the wet compares to the michelin sports they replaced. When I first purchased the car it had some "Yenchin roadsliders " on the front which were rapidly removed , the Michelins were excellent but after reading a few reviews I opted for the Falkens. Look good too.

I had Mich PS2 on my RS4 and they handled great in all weather and was the OEM tyre so not sure why you had such a bad experience in the wet.

You say wheel spin in 3rd?? I dont know when last I had wheel spin :cool: must be a quattro thing.

Which Falkens did you go for?

FK453?

or the ZE914

Reactions: ben.w93
Got Michelin Pilot Sport 3s on all of my cars now and recommend them. Costco is very competitive anyway but regularly run deals which make them as cheap as mid range. I've run most brands over the years, including some real death bladders, but will be sticking with michelins from now on

You say wheel spin in 3rd?? I dont know when last I had wheel spin :cool: must be a quattro thing.

It's not something I get much of either which just proves how bad these are. :) I do get a little bit but with FWD and the remap I think a bit isn't too bad. Should have been patient when buying the car and got a quattro or indeed some options. My car is possibly the meanest spec in the country, it has nothing.

Cheers for the feedback on the Michelins both of you. Certain tyres seem to suit certain cars and work less well on others. Perhaps the Pilot Sport 2s just didn't suit the Cupra.

Got Michelin Pilot Sport 3s on all of my cars now and recommend them. Costco is very competitive anyway but regularly run deals which make them as cheap as mid range. I've run most brands over the years, including some real death bladders, but will be sticking with michelins from now on

Ye I am a member of Costco and have been keeping an eye on them but last time I spoke to them they wont be doing the 25% off any more and will only be offering fuel vouchers or money off.

Which is the current special, £50 off for any 4 Michelins Fitted. "Pilots, Energy, 4x4 etc"

Which works out to £149.98 x 4 = £599.92 - £50 = £549.92 /4 = £137.48ea "235/40/18"

Which is not bad but when they had the 20 or 25% off it was scary. Was £476.80 for a set or £119.2 per tyre.

I am actually kicking myself for not going for it.

I must say all michelin pilot sport that i have run in the past have worn very well considering it is a "sportier" compound.

I've been using pirelli p zero rosso's now for the last couple of years and have been more than happy with them in the wet or dry. My mechanic mate always sings my praises for putting 'decent tyres' on my car, he says the exact same thing about knowing the people who look after their car by what tyres they buy. I would never even contemplate putting budget tyres on my car. This year I'm fancying a change from the pirellis though was either going to go for conti's or Michelin what would people suggest?

Got some triangle tyres on the front of my new B7 and they're not good at all, would stick them on the back but have a federal and a sunny there!! Why people just buy any old tyre is beyond me. They're all horrible!! and when payday comes I'll be buying four Dunlop sportmax rt's . :-/

Reactions: Molnboman and scotty76
As much as i look after my car in everyway... Im ashamed to say ive never really bought good tyres! I only really potter to work and back, so my accelera ditch finders make things a little more interesting lol!

Jokes aside, there not a bad tyre for the money, but i think im going conti's next when these wear.... My mates golf sticks like **** to blanket!
Where mine would have gone straight on... His did a full right hander off a roundabout with me needing a fresh pair of underpants. Good tyres will definitely be my next purchase

"His did a full right hander off a roundabout with me needing a fresh pair of underpants. Good tyres will definitely be my next purchase"

Craig....should have brought that blanket!
:racer:

"His did a full right hander off a roundabout with me needing a fresh pair of underpants. Good tyres will definitely be my next purchase"

Craig....should have brought that blanket!
:racer:

Personally, im not a racer, but he still is lol.
My mates idea of a trip to tesco is a little different to mine. On the other hand... Im no saint and like to use it were safe, otherwise the k04 build maybe a little pointless :)

Hi Guys ,
just had all four corners replaced with the latest Falken rubber. 235 x 40 x 18s. Had them fitted at Deemon Tweeks as they had a deal on (£530 ) . So far so good , little or no road noise and the grip in the wet compares to the michelin sports they replaced. When I first purchased the car it had some "Yenchin roadsliders " on the front which were rapidly removed , the Michelins were excellent but after reading a few reviews I opted for the Falkens. Look good too.

I'm a big fan of Falken tyres.

Anyone run Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2s? I'm thinking of putting a full set on my Quattro once the current **** that came with the car runs out...

Yetin there ! I'm sure they will be pretty good...talking of ****e tyres...

Primewells are another dancing on ice candidate

Anyone run Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 2s? I'm thinking of putting a full set on my Quattro once the current **** that came with the car runs out...

As much as they are a great tyres. I have used them on many of my FWD cars but a lot of people I have spoken to with regards to the quattro system even Audi GMBH, they dont recommend them the construct and sidewall is very soft. And something to do with the assymetric pattern dont work to well. I cant specify the full details but it was on those lines. Even thou I have had nothing but good grip out of them the wear rate is very shocking but in return get a great dry grip aswell as wet grip. But for me there is a lot better out there which offer the same levels of grip if not better and wear a lot better.

The Michelin PS3 92Y XL are back in favour now Ive got the right pressures in them...feel superb and so they should

I also had my wheels balanced by someone that knows what theyre doing....magic !

i'm running the Goodyear F1 Assy 2 on my 3.0 tdi and i must say i'm pretty impressed at the grip..

put it this way 6months on the car - only managed to step the back end out twice and thats purely for my own entertainment purposes but it only lasted a second or 2 before Mr Quattro kicked in and straightened her out

not sure about the wear rate - had them on almost 10k miles and they still look decent...

As much as they are a great tyres. I have used them on many of my FWD cars but a lot of people I have spoken to with regards to the quattro system even Audi GMBH, they dont recommend them the construct and sidewall is very soft. And something to do with the assymetric pattern dont work to well. I cant specify the full details but it was on those lines. Even thou I have had nothing but good grip out of them the wear rate is very shocking but in return get a great dry grip aswell as wet grip. But for me there is a lot better out there which offer the same levels of grip if not better and wear a lot better.

If anyone hasn't got my Christmas present yet some Michelin or Goodyear tyres for 19 inch wheels would be nice.

I have them fitted to my avant, best tyres i've experienced. They grip well in wet conditions and in the snow and ice they are good.

Getting Conti Sport Contact 5s fitted later, to match the ones on the back. I've had enough of the non-existent grip. For example, struggled to get away from the traffic lights in the rain even after I'd changed up into 2nd gear and wheel spin is still possible in 3rd. It was funny for a while but now it's just dangerous in the cold and wet.

Will try the Goodyears next time. I want to see how Contis all round feels.

Nice one Scotty...don't think you will be disappointed Mate....in fact you will probably want to find large puddles to drive through once you leave the tyre garage! Good Luck and drive safe.

BR
A

I use Vredestein Sportrac 3 on my B5 2.5Tdi FWD, they are excellent tyres, £70 each (205 55/16) very predictable in the wet. I can highly recommend them. Soon be time to get the Michelin Alpin A4 winter tyres back on tho, again well worth it, £415 fitted at ATS

Oh happy days. Wheel spun my way to the garage. Solid, non slip drive back. :)

235/40/18 seems to be an expensive size.

235/40/18 seems to be an expensive size.

How much were they Scotty? Decided to go for the contis next myself, still got a bit of tread left on my pirellis... I considered getting the contis before the snow/winter arrives but still gotta get a few more quids worth out of the pirellis!

£158 each, fitted and balanced.

Did you try Bracknell Tyre and Battery Scotty?

Ive been using them for yrs.. you have to turn up and can be waiting a while, but good price and service.

I paid £480 for a set of 4x Toyo Proxes T1 Sports (235/40/18), an excellent all-rounder tyre :)

goose

I didn't Goose though I know they are usually the cheapest place in all of Berkshire. :) My local tyre place usually undercut the online tyre places and is 2 mins drive from my house.