1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Sizes

MrBones Nov 19, 2013

1. MrBones

MrBones Going Gone Bye

Hi All
    I am running the standard S-Line multi spoke alloys on my car which has a standard size tyre of 225/40/18's
    I need to change my tyres and I would like to go for a thicker tyre wall 45's and maybe even 50’s as I live in the sticks and an area with a lot of pot wholes
    What do you guys think? Most of my driving is just cruising around to and from work, but sometimes I need to push it and I like to cruise along the motorways at high speed, for long distances
    Do you think that going for a thicker tyre wall will give me a smoother ride?
    The price of the 45’s are a little more (about 20-30 quid more per tyre) but is this worth it?
    Don’t get me wrong I don’t think the S-Line suspension is not too hard, but I would also like to fill my wheel arches a little more
    After reading peoples comments on here, I was thinking of buying Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2’s which are about £100 a corner at the moment, But someone has said on here that the Vredestein Ultrac Vorti is a good tyre and a little bit cheaper
    What do you think?
    The car is a remapped 170 S-Line Quattro sportback

Thanks in advance for any advise

2. MrLapou

MrLapou Well-Known Member

It's a good plan to go for 45 sidewall. But if side wall increases, then the tyre diameter changes which then changes speedometer readings. a 17" wheel with 45 tyres is equivalent diameter to 18"on 40 tyres.

3. Muzza80

Muzza80 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't to changing the profile of the tyre from the standard recommendation. Your speedo would be out for one, rubbing possibly. You could go for a non XL tyre which may give a bit more compliance while sacrificing a bit of turn in sharpness.

You don't change the tyre profile to fill the arches either, you lower the vehicle.

4. JohnE

JohnE 2005 A3 Sport 1.6 FSI

Going for a higher profile but not changing s=wheels size will alter the overall diameter and therefore gearing and speedo/milo accuracy.

You might be interested in my experience of changing my 17s (225 45) for 16s (205 55) - bought from a member and all-round good egg on here.

I only changed at the weekend, but so far I have noticed - slightly smoother ride - also a bit bouncier. I think the standard suspension (mine is Sport, not S-line) is very hard and lacks compliance and body control for UK roads - it's fine for the track and motorways - there are other threads on this. The previous owner of these wheels bought 'em for his A3 S-line to improve the ride.

The other benefits the of narrower wheels/tyres are - better indicated economy and (subjectively) the car feels very slightly quicker (may be true as the wheels/tyres are significantly lighter) with no real-world loss of grip.

My car is very very slow compared with yours and most on here though :)

5. MrBones

MrBones Going Gone Bye

Hi Both
    Thanks to you both for taking the time to comment
    I very much appreciate your comments
    I am now thinking of just keeping with the standard size tyres as advised, it was just a niggling thought I have had for a bit