1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre sizes, does it matter?

Scotties Mar 24, 2013

1. Scotties

Scotties Member

So I was driving home from work the other day and saw an advert at the local ATS for 30% off Mitchelin Tyres when you buy 4. As my tyres are fast aproaching the end of their life and this kind of offer doesnt come round every day I thought I would run a quote. I couldn't remeber the exact size (and Im too lazy to walk to the car) so I stuck my reg number on another site that would tell me and it gave me 2 options - 225/50 R17 and225/45 R17. I ran the quote for both sizes and I was shocked to find that the 225/50 R17 were nearly £50 a tyre more. When I checked the car I found that Audi have decided to give their customers the more expensive option. Now I know that tyres are the most important part of a car for stoping and handling so I dont want to endanger myself or other road users but will 5mm difference in wall size make much difference given I'm changing all 4 tyres?

Any help/advice would be much appreciated as it could save me £135.

2. Spr0cket

Spr0cket Member

The sidewall is not reported in mm. It's a % of tyre width, hence the difference in wall size is not 5mm, rather 5% of the tyre width.

Most obvious impact will be to speedo accuracy as your adjusting tyre circumference.