1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre size for 18" rim

Phlipper1 Jun 5, 2006

1. Phlipper1

Phlipper1 New Member

Most people seem to have fitted 225/40's, but surely on a wider rim you'd move to a wider tyre?

2. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

depends if wheel is wider, 18" audi wheels tend to be same width as 17"'s ie 225 45 17 or 225 40 18...

3. madvw

madvw Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Most people seem to have fitted 225/40's, but surely on a wider rim you'd move to a wider tyre?

[/ QUOTE ]

An 18" rim doesn't necessarily mean that the rim is wider, the width of the rim is quoted in inches and specified as a J figure, for example 8J. The quoted figure is the distance between the fitting faces of the inner and outer beads.

4. Phlipper1

Phlipper1 New Member

Assuming that the standard s3 rim is 17 x 7.5 the 18" rim maybe 8 or 8.5 wide (i.e. RS4 rim)? You would have to try and maintain the original circumference of both wheel + tyre so as not alter the speedo settings. What sort of profile would I need if I went to 235 or 245. I'm guessing 235/40 for 8" and 245/35 for 8.5.

5. madvw

madvw Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Assuming that the standard s3 rim is 17 x 7.5 the 18" rim maybe 8 or 8.5 wide (i.e. RS4 rim)? You would have to try and maintain the original circumference of both wheel + tyre so as not alter the speedo settings.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely, but maintaining the same rolling radius has nothing to do with the width of the tyre, you just need to make sure you use the correct section tyres.

edit: oops - stand corrected as normal....

6. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes, but as you move to a wider tyre the options on tyre size give you a less accurate rolling radius. 225/40/18 gives you the most accurate rolling radius (within 0.5%), if you then move to 235 or 245 widths this moves to 1.7% or 3% respectively unless you're gonna drop down to a 35% profile which gets expensive.

7. nervus

nervus Well-Known Member

The profile is quoted as a % proportion of the width so obviously as width increases then profile number decreases.

My factory tyres were 225/40/18's so this yields the optimum rolling radius.

You could fit say 235/35/18's but why would you? I think the tyres are wide enough at 225.

8. AndyMac

and wider tyres mean more tramlining and aquaplaning

9. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

Anything up to 8.5/18 I wouldnt go over 225 wide tyres. 9/18 or wider would need wider tyres but you dont need wheels that wide on a 3... unless its just for the looks?? then you get rubbing and handling issues.

10. Phlipper1

Phlipper1 New Member

Lets just say you were having a play with a Boxter. According to some people the S3 is going to struggle due to the comparative balance and neutrality issues of it's handling (ees_three's comments). A colleague at work has just got a Boxter. I happened to notice the 265/35 19's on the back. So surely physical grip must be a factor.

11. AndyMac

I think it's called rear wheel drive

12. ChriS3

ChriS3 hud at ye bam

[ QUOTE ]
    Lets just say you were having a play with a Boxter. According to some people the S3 is going to struggle due to the comparative balance and neutrality issues of it's handling (ees_three's comments). A colleague at work has just got a Boxter. I happened to notice the 265/35 19's on the back. So surely physical grip must be a factor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever seen the size of the tyres on an Elise?

13. silver75

silver75 Big Ron

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Porker has wider rear wheels to stop it oversteering and spinning. Wider rears on the 3 would cause more understeer I think

14. Phlipper1

Phlipper1 New Member

I guess the rwd explanation is obvious, particularly as the S3 is primarily fwd. Perhaps the Haldex upgrade would redress the balance. I assume an 18" rim with 225's gets more scuffs.