Tyre rotation - worth doing?

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
The S4 is now 11 months old, and has done a whisker under 8,000 miles. I've just examined the tyres, and the rears have a consistent 6mm of tread right across them. The fronts go from 5.5mm at the centre and inside shoulder to 5mm at the outside shoulder.

Is there anything to be gained or lost from doing a front-rear rotation? Also, if I do rotate them, should it simply be a front/rear same side swap, or should I swap them diagonally as well?

I run them at the recommended pressures of 36psi front and 33psi rear.

I found the same with my car, the tyre wear is pretty even front to back with just a small amount of extra wear on the fronts as you have.
I would swap fronts to rears on the same side. whilst you have the wheels off you could jet wash the inside of the wheel arches and maybe even remove the wheel arch liners and get rid of any mud accumulations from behind them.

Reactions: jdp1962
It's worth doing for piece of mind in keeping rolling radius's the same. Only problem is, come new tyres time you have to buy 4 instead of 2 so take a big hit all at once

It's worth doing for piece of mind in keeping rolling radius's the same. Only problem is, come new tyres time you have to buy 4 instead of 2 so take a big hit all at once
I always replace in fours anyway; always have done. :)

Hi Jeff. Your wear rate seems to be about the same as mine (6mm/6.5mm but 5K) although my fronts are 6mm all the way across. However I do run 39/33psi. I would say that indeed you should rotate front to rear if you want even wear, and I can't see any reason why you should do diagonal.

I just wait until I need a new pair of front tyres. Rear tyres moved to the front, new tyres on the rear.

Hi Jeff. Your wear rate seems to be about the same as mine (6mm/6.5mm but 5K) although my fronts are 6mm all the way across. However I do run 39/33psi. I would say that indeed you should rotate front to rear if you want even wear, and I can't see any reason why you should do diagonal.
I've just finished doing them. Straight front/rear swap.

I just wait until I need a new pair of front tyres. Rear tyres moved to the front, new tyres on the rear.

Especially with a 4WD vehicle, it is a good plan to try to keep the rolling radius of all the wheels similar, I know that quattro will tolerate a bit but why do that.

Diagonal won’t work if you have directional tyres.