Tyre recommendations

smk82

Reaction score
After taking a look at my tyre treads recently my fronts are looking not far off needing changing, and whilzt the rears are probably a mm or two better i might do all 4 if i can find the right deal. Was looking at blackcircles 6 month defray deal which is good, but question is what tyre? I have conti sport 5s at the moment, but looking at good year efficient grips as quieter/better fuel ecomony and excellent in wet (apparently) any other suggestions? Oh and why put Y speed rated tyres on thr diesel? Its only rated to 140ish not 190!

Why not put 2 new tyres on the rear, move old ones to the front and get the most out of them, or at the very least burn some rubber for a few weeks to wear them out!

If you want sporty tyres Goodyear f1 asy2 had them on my R32 and one of the best for wet and dry weather for performance. About £110 each. Or michellin sport 2 there is michelin super sport but believe the sport 2 is cheaper and a bit better in the rain.

As the first guy said, move the tyres back to front.

I myself would perhaps put conti back on as our new sprinters at work have them and are a lot better than their replacement Avon tyres.

I've got 2 Dunlop tyres on my SEAT which I am impressed with however.

Agreed. Prob not a huge difference betwene the front and back, so swapping them is probably safer. I suppose the new front/old rear thing only really applies when you there is a huge difference between the front/rear. I had Bridgestones on my old TT which I wasn't impressed with before switching to Contis. These haven't worn as well as before, as I had about 18-19K out of the previous set.

I'm a big fan of Uniroyal Rainsport 3, but I'm hearing rave reviews about Nokian's Z Line tyre. Their winter tyres are excellent, and according to the reviews online their new summer tyres are just as good.

All the tyre companies recommend new tyres on the rear old one on the front..................

All the tyre companies recommend new tyres on the rear old one on the front..................

Yep, in a FWD car you should always have the best tyres on the back. It sounds counter intuitive as the fronts are doing all the work but the logic is that, if the fronts start to slip you can correct with steering and throttle, whereas if the rears do it's far harder to cope with as you have no direct control over them other than braking

Reactions: glospete and DommyR
I feel a numpty because I never looked at my tyres. I had assumed they were Continentals after reading lots of posts on here.
Hit a pothole last night and wrecked a front tyre. Went to get a new one at the local tyre dealer and realised that my tyres are Pirelli Cinturato.
Is this normal? Have they changed? Are saloons different? What do all you experts think of Cinturatos?

My 2014 Sportback is running Cinturatos as well since new.

They're quite noisy on rough surfaces but otherwise they seem a good tyre.

I feel a numpty because I never looked at my tyres. I had assumed they were Continentals after reading lots of posts on here.
Hit a pothole last night and wrecked a front tyre. Went to get a new one at the local tyre dealer and realised that my tyres are Pirelli Cinturato.
Is this normal? Have they changed? Are saloons different? What do all you experts think of Cinturatos?

It's pot luck, I think, depending on what the factory have got in stock at the time of building your car. Plenty of people on here have got (and seem to bemoan!) Continental SportContact 5s, my car came with SportContact 2s.

At a rough stab in the dark - for a 1.4, 17" come with Pirelli's, 18" come with Conti's.

I don't rate the Pirelli's all that much to be honest. They don't instill confidence for me. Though that could just be the car, but since switching to Nokian winter tyres high speed cornering is much more assured. Not sure it I'll put the Pirelli's back on or switch to something else come spring.

Went for Dunlop SportMaxxx RTs in the end and swapped the tyres round so they went on the rears. Still a good 5mm or so on the other pair of Contis.. although a bit of spirited driving will soon take car of that!

Slightly different angle on this question. When the fitters at the tyre depot swap the rears to the fronts for you, do you feel obliged to tip them or is swapping the tyres round something you should expect them to include in the price of the tyres? For that reason I feel slightly awkward making the request. I've been buying tyres for many years now and I have swapped in the past, but probably at the suggestion of the fitter. My local depot now has exclusively Eastern European fitters who do not appear to speak English as communication with them is by gesture and key words and - consequently - you can't really establish any sort of rapport. They certainly never offer to swap the tyres for you.