Tyre profile

KrisKrk

A6 C6 4F 2010 LeMans Avant
Reaction score
I know I should as tyre people probably but maybe somebody here done this.

I've got some back problems and Sline seats or suspension does not help much but wondered if upgrading the tyre profile.
I have now 35 to 40 will change anything, add at least more a bit of more comfort?

Don't want to downgrade the wheel size as in near future will change them to different model but still within 19" 8.5J.

Anyone?

If you go with 40 it would throw the Speedo out of sync as the overall diameter of the wheel has gone up. If it's a quattro it might have an impact as well. Same goes for ABS, but this could be fine if you are within 2.5% compared to the rears ( I think).

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

All 4 need to be the same, you may have insurance complications in an event of an accident as you're not using tyre sizes suited to the vehicle.

19" - 255/35/19
18" - 245/40/18
17" - 225/50/17

Are the correct sizes for the 4F.

Never would've think of insurance problems because of that.

There is a lot o space in the arches to accommodate bigger profile so doubt there would be any rubbing.

And the last thing I would want to do is mess about with car speed or abs components.

This give's me one option left, I think. Cushion up on the seat and avoid as many pat holes and bumps as possible.

Thank you, lads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could I do with non Sline suspension?

Our resolution to this specific issue, Kris: we've just fitted a set of KW Street Comfort shock absorbers and springs to our Audi A1 S-line Black Edition with 18-inch rims and the results are absolute BLISS!

OK, they cost £1300 ish fitted but the ride now is amazingly compliant with the steering just as sharp - as posted in the A1 section: and was a lot cheaper than swapping the car for something similar but non-Audi.

I well understand people's frustration with the Audi car of their choice over UK pot-hole roads. We purchased the A1 for specific function but the local-road ride was not acceptable so fitting a KW Street Comfort set-up became a cost effective solution as we intend keeping it and for sure we no longer considering changing the A1 for something else.

Take a look at the KW Street Comfort shock absorbers and springs, it may well prove a cost effective solution for you.

For us, it allows us to keep our RS3 and TT roadster for the specific purposes they provide and enables the A1 to do its job admirably.

Reactions: KrisKrk
All 4 need to be the same, you may have insurance complications in an event of an accident as you're not using tyre sizes suited to the vehicle.

19" - 255/35/19
18" - 245/40/18
17" - 225/50/17

Are the correct sizes for the 4F.

Almost - 19" on S6 uses 265 35 19 with a marginally higher sidewall

As for ride - put 18" or 17" on if the ride is an issue.

Our resolution to this specific issue, Kris: we've just fitted a set of KW Street Comfort shock absorbers and springs to our Audi A1 S-line Black Edition with 18-inch rims and the results are absolute BLISS!

OK, they cost £1300 ish fitted but the ride now is amazingly compliant with the steering just as sharp - as posted in the A1 section: and was a lot cheaper than swapping the car for something similar but non-Audi.

I well understand people's frustration with the Audi car of their choice over UK pot-hole roads. We purchased the A1 for specific function but the local-road ride was not acceptable so fitting a KW Street Comfort set-up became a cost effective solution as we intend keeping it and for sure we no longer considering changing the A1 for something else.

Take a look at the KW Street Comfort shock absorbers and springs, it may well prove a cost effective solution for you.

For us, it allows us to keep our RS3 and TT roadster for the specific purposes they provide and enables the A1 to do its job admirably.

Thx bud.
Glad that suspension worked out for you.
For my car is a bit more than what you have paid for your A1. Actually, that price can get me front done only
Doubt I can afford them coilovers now.
Is there any cheaper alternative?

Reactions: 45bvtc
Almost - 19" on S6 uses 265 35 19 with a marginally higher sidewall

As for ride - put 18" or 17" on if the ride is an issue.

Appreciate your help, mate.
Was kind of hoping I can do something with the issue and keep the 19's

The ride is still firm on 18s, but when I was considering changing for 19s all of my friends in tyre supply recommended that I stay on 18s.
Unfortunately, I don't think that there is a cheap solution.

Appreciate your help, mate.
Was kind of hoping I can do something with the issue and keep the 19's

You cant defy the laws of physics - so unless you start spending big money to reduce thr mass of the vehicle and then fit lower spring rates you are not going to win.

Or fit air suspension ;)

Reactions: 45bvtc
Thx bud.
Glad that suspension worked out for you.
For my car is a bit more than what you have paid for your A1. Actually, that price can get me front done only
Doubt I can afford them coilovers now.
Is there any cheaper alternative?

The word 'doubt' means that you just might! Spent many years both amateur and professional with Lotus road cars (hence 45bvtc) and others and as others here have alluded to the answer you are after is not in either wheel size or tyre profile; and to that I'll add tyre pressure. If you want to retain the car you have but improve on ride and/or control and self-adjustment of that 'ride', then I strongly recommend the path I took; expensive yes but the difference chalk and cheese, if you know what I mean. You will be 'happier' with the car you have and enjoy it more. Otherwise, buy a Citroen...

Nah; sorry, that's BAD advice; scratch that!!!

If you are local, Kris, then come by and I'll happily demonstrate a 185bhp twin-charge A1 with mega 'ride' and handling.

My A4's sline suspension on 18s, it's very comfortable - on the few smooth roads I've found so far!

I'm no expert but if OP is on a budget and wants to keep the 19s couldn't he just fit a set of slightly taller springs, ie out of an SE or equivalent?

The word 'doubt' means that you just might! Spent many years both amateur and professional with Lotus road cars (hence 45bvtc) and others and as others here have alluded to the answer you are after is not in either wheel size or tyre profile; and to that I'll add tyre pressure. If you want to retain the car you have but improve on ride and/or control and self-adjustment of that 'ride', then I strongly recommend the path I took; expensive yes but the difference chalk and cheese, if you know what I mean. You will be 'happier' with the car you have and enjoy it more. Otherwise, buy a Citroen...

Nah; sorry, that's BAD advice; scratch that!!!

If you are local, Kris, then come by and I'll happily demonstrate a 185bhp twin-charge A1 with mega 'ride' and handling.

John, said "doubt" as although I have the funds, I need to plan them further ahead. With budget I have, growing slightly from time to time, I cannot plan this mod now. Just in case as something more important like already weak clutch will come up to do.
Surprisingly, previous owner must've worn it quite much as I've done barely above 16k and it's showing weak signs. Ok, car was remapped but I think this should not justify it.
Air suspension also is not going to happen for the same reason. Don't think I would ever want to install it anyway. Well, not unless it's new, with warranty. Been told it might be expensive to maintain.

If cheaper coilover option isn't available, I'll have to sit on the cushion for a while until I would be able to proceed with best solution.
Or, I'll get the SE suspension fitted?

Thank you all for the input on it.
Thought I could get away with increased tyre profile.

My A4's sline suspension on 18s, it's very comfortable - on the few smooth roads I've found so far!

I'm no expert but if OP is on a budget and wants to keep the 19s couldn't he just fit a set of slightly taller springs, ie out of an SE or equivalent?

That was my second thought after tyre or entire wheel change.

I'll snoop around.

Thx

On my S line A6 3.0 Quattro avant I replaced all corners shocks and springs too. Replacements where exact same ride height. My rear spring were broken at the bottoms and shocks had done 135k.
Ride is much better (even my wife agrees) and handling much better.
Billstein if I remember correctly.

Reactions: SteveMcB
On my S line A6 3.0 Quattro avant I replaced all corners shocks and springs too. Replacements where exact same ride height. My rear spring were broken at the bottoms and shocks had done 135k.
Ride is much better (even my wife agrees) and handling much better.
Billstein if I remember correctly.

I hate soft suspension but think the sline set up is a bit of a joke really, the ride height looks good but the shock 'absorbers' should be renamed shock 'transmitters' or teeth rattlers or something similar.

I also had to replace a broken rear spring 2 or 3 years back, I'm not a hashy driver and the mileage was under 40K so am pretty sure the lack of proper damping had something to do with it.

My SQ5 is on 21s, it's a firm ride but still feels like a flying carpet compared to the A4.