TYRE PRESSURES

wezhaz

Reaction score
Will be running S3 Avus alloys on a 1.8T Sport with 225/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza tyres and wondered about correct pressure for the set up.Any clues appreciated.Thanks.

I swear they are 2.2bar all round on my S3 but can not check at the moment as its chucking it down with snow at the moment.

Is 32 psi all round the recommended for 225/45/17 tyres on the S3 Avus rims?Thanks.

Don't forget the S3 is heavier and has different weight distribution, track, damper settings etc...all of which can affect tyre pressures.

If you have an A3 1.8T why not contact your local dealer and ask them for the trye pressures of a late A3 with the optional 17" wheels?

It's more likely to be a good starting point...
Then, armed with A3 1.8T settings (get the 2 people and fully loaded with luggage figures) and the S3 settings you can play about.

That's where I'd start...

2.6 bar??????
thats quite high Gammba...........
the manual for the Avus wheels says 2.1 bar........
i currently have them at 2.2 and while driving i almost bounce out of the car........
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
JayBeeS3 said:
2.6 bar??????
thats quite high Gammba...........
the manual for the Avus wheels says 2.1 bar........
i currently have them at 2.2 and while driving i almost bounce out of the car........
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed it is high /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I see no adverse wear and it saves me the need to change to 18's. IIRC the 2.1 is for an unladen car, so I basically run mine as if the car is loaded, the reduction in tyre roll is enough to justify the increase in pressure for me. I was running 2.4 - 2.6 Bar at the ring last time (So you know it's got to be good!), but am playing with the pressures to see if any more improvements can be made, and tend to keep the rears higher than the front...but only slightly.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
but am playing with the pressures to see if any more improvements can be made, and tend to keep the rears higher than the front...but only slightly.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's common practice on a FWD or predominantly FWD car...it's also common to try dropping the front pressures to increase grip and decrease understeer somewhat.

Try that too...

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
That's common practice on a FWD or predominantly FWD car...it's also common to try dropping the front pressures to increase grip and decrease understeer somewhat.

Try that too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I think I'll remain with only a couple of PSI between front and rears to prevent tyre roll which is definately good for the handling /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
I do play with bar, but for the means of the public thought i'd allow them into our circle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent news dear boy...
But I feel you should utilise every opportunity to educate the great unwashed...
Bar...it's the future. Like garlic bread.

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:

Excellent news dear boy...
But I feel you should utilise every opportunity to educate the great unwashed...
Bar...it's the future. Like garlic bread.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif