1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre pressures

PCMIKE Aug 17, 2006

1. PCMIKE

PCMIKE New Member

Hello all,
    I've an A6 Quattro with 235/40x18 tyres (Michelin sports).
    The standard pressure is 41 psi, and inside the petrol flap is says go to 51 if car full of people/luggage. As I'm going on holiday it will be, so i was going to increase the pressure until I noticed the tyres say a Max of 50 psi. As the tyres are recommended by Audi any ideas on what pressure i should use?
    Many thanks,

2. MartinM

MartinM DK55 XYH

I am guessing you have a C6? I have a non Q C6 and the fronts are 38psi but i never bother to pump it up when the car is loaded

3. huggis

huggis New Member

I have a A6 C6 2.0 Tdi on `18 245/40's and don't really know what the pressure should be. the sticker on the fuel flap dosen't list this wheel / tyre configuration, despite them being factory fitted!!

4. alphamail

alphamail alphamail

If your are worried about it then pump them to 50 psi. I do appreciate your concern. I had a front tyre blow out at over 115 just past Lyon three weeks ago. I did pump the tyres up according to the instructions on the fuel flap and didn't pay enough attention to the front driver's side which had lost a significant amount of pressure.
    I have always been a bit blase` about tyre pressures until now. I was extremely lucky and didn't panic meaning I didn't touch the brakes. I was driving on the busiest day in French motoring history and somehow managed to get to the hard shoulder over about 1.5 klicks.
    Black smoke, sparks and a Lewis Hamilton style rubber flap gouging the sideskirt.

I have decided to buy an electric tyre pump on the basis that I find the garage experience too stressful and a put off. A good pump at hand will mean more checks and I will be far more respectful of the pressures as you seem to be.
    Best, James

5. mickey_a6

mickey_a6 Member

Lucky escape - this is one of my big nightmares.

Wasn't Saturday August 11th by any chance?? We also driving past Lyon on that day, from down near Cannes - what a nightmare - took 5 hours to go the first 150 miles. Never seen traffic like that.

6. alphamail

alphamail alphamail

Yes it was Saturday August 13th. Gridlock from Bolene to Cannes.