1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tyre pressures in the snow?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by karl210, Jan 14, 2013.

1. karl210

karl210 Member

Does anyone alter there tyre pressures for the snow? if so do you increase or decrease the pressure? was thinking to let them down to about 24psi but then thought surely thats going to give me a bigger contact patch and actually be worse. Any suggestions? Cant wait to try 4wd in the snow for the first time, going for a spin soon.
  2. bez101

bez101 Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

never change mine
  3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Dunno about tyre pressures but I just wang my winters on and jobs a good un :)
    [​IMG]

<tuffty/>
  4. rezulteo

rezulteo Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

5. yankov

yankov New Member

It depends of the snow but generally in the winter you must have obout 2.2/2.3 atmospheres, than the summer 2.4/2.5. That is because when tires are lower pressure give an advantage to the tires in grip. When the tire is with more pressure it only contacts the snow with the middle part of the tire (ive seen a move for audi winter tires somewhere in youtube about that) and you don't have so much grip. If you don't believe me try sometimes to lower the pressure for a test and you will see it, im driving every year in a deep snow :) never got stuck until now.
  6. karl210

karl210 Member

well, just been out and tried my best to get stuck, steep hills with fresh snow on etc and not a problem. Kindof almost boring it does it that easy! Love coming out of junctions sideways with opposite lock