1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre pressure

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by Colin1973, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Colin1973

Colin1973 New Member

Hi, probably a silly question, but can anyone confirm if the audi tyre pressure option I ordered with my SB are compatible with the audi valve caps with tyre pressure monitoring from the following link https://merchandise.audi.co.uk/?page=shop&pid=3053
    andy2000 likes this.
  2. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

I'm assuming they mean they're only compatible with the more expensive Active-TPMS system that monitors actual PSI in each tyre via a sensor built into the valve cap. This system is available on other Audi models, but the current A3 TPMS is an in-direct method and just monitors pressure via rotational distance / drag through the ABS sliprings so it can detect a flat tyre. In which case I'd say no, the valve caps in the link won't fit the valves on the A3.
  3. cemerson

cemerson Well-Known Member

It does say "The valve caps can only be used for wheels and valves which are fitted with the tyre pressure monitoring system.", and the option on the A3 is worded exactly like that one, so could be. You'd certainly be able to send them back if not.
  4. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

True, but the valve caps on the A3 are totally standard, regardless of TPMS. So the fact that these caps state they are 'only for cars with TPMS' suggests the valves are 'special'. But as said, easiest way is to order them and send them back if they don't fit.

Oh, and then let us know the outcome lol.
  5. stathej

stathej New Member

I believe the A3 uses the ABS sensor to monitor the wheels rotational speed as mentioned above for the TPM system. As the tyre deflates it's diameter is smaller so the ABS sensor detects the change compared to the other wheels.

You should not need the TPM valve caps for an A3 these ones should suffice and you save a couple of quid

https://merchandise.audi.co.uk/?page=shop&pid=3093